DIY filter question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
okay...awesome thanks guys! but more ?s lol.....

I have looked into sponge filters as well...the ones I have seen ppl make are literally just a sponge with an airline...is it that simple?? my only worry is this will only provide mech. filtration and I want bio too!

and thx for the input about the wet dry...i thought I was over overthinking it and making it too complicated but I sure do like the model...thanks again and look forward to more info!!

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Bacteria colonize the sponge material.

I think you probably want an airlift tube, but it is basically sponge, base, and uplift tube(you can use small pvc pipe for DIY.

Wet-dry provides more biological filtration because there is more oxygen, but a sponge filter will provide enough biological filtration for the tank size and bioload in a 20H.

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
awesome!! thanks verbal! and I have come upon another ? lol....

the pump that I have...like mentioned above, is a pump for an airbed...it seems to be putting out quite a lot of air...now I know that it will change based on the filter media, size of tubing and the water ofcourse...but how do I know if it is pumping to hard? I guess I may just need to do some test runs??.... Im thinking that in the 20H...with the diy filter being at the bottom of the tank, I shouldnt have a prob with tooo much flow?? idk

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
You can get valves pretty cheaply to regulate the airflow.

I think you will likely be better off buying an aquarium pump for two reasons: noise and service life. Aquarium pumps are built to operate quietly over a long period. The pump for an airbed is built to push out a lot of air over a short period of time.

You should be able to find a used airpump very cheaply. You might even try posting to free-cycle for a free one.

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
yeah, that pump is loud!! I was trying to design a box to hold it and hopefully contain some of the noise!! i will def. be getting a filter when I can...I just thought it was a really cool idea to see if I could make one...plus im impatient!! thanks!!

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
DIY filter pics

okay...I have been up and running for a couple of days...had to make minor adjustments in the amount of holes...seems to be working well! I had to change my original model...so the end result was actually two bottom halves of water bottles instead of top and bottom...I am still reworking the design in my head and will prob so another, slightly larger version this next time...and I did ditch the bed air pump and just got a cheap one for now...but it is a heck of a lot quiter!!

as far as the tank itself goes...dont make fun, I know it is super sparse I just used the floaty moss balls, bamboo and the baby bannana plants I had from the little tank, and some fake betta plants that have been unused for a while...oh and that really cool cave thing came witht the tank...the girl had used it for her lizard...I just bleached it and added it in...Cali Fish just started to explore it this morning!!! lol....She is a calico fantail...still itty bitty!! she managed to get herself in the filter pic...she loves to pick at the stones that I used to create a half-butt rock wall!! lol

anywhoo...thats what ive got so far...When things start picking up and looking more suitable Ill add more pics...prob to photo gallery...but ill also put the new filter up here!!

Thanks everyone for your ideas and input!!

10172010 015.JPG 10172010 016.JPG

Last edited:

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Your little filter should work just fine for a small fish load.
I'm currently running a small box filter on my 30g planted tank and it functions similarly.

I should mention, though, that the bamboo is not technically an aquatic plant. It may rot and die when fully submerged. You want to keep the top portion above the water column.

This is a pic I recently took of my tank and if you notice the bamboo is not fully submerged. http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/anostomusternetzi/Planted%2030/fulltankoct17.jpg
The ones on the left are actually a little too far underwater since I overfilled the tank.
A lot of people put a tall vase or pot with gravel in order to make sure the bamboo emerges from the water.

You could actually do similar to what I did and hide your filter behind pots. You can't see the one in my tank because it's in the righthind back corner behind stuff. Ceramic pots are only a couple of bucks. (The ones I used are plastic which are more expensive, but that's because all the ceramic pots I found were cracked and I didn't want to pay for cracked pots).

nomommythatsmyfood

AC Members
Sep 6, 2010
Georgia
Real Name
Meag
you know, that is so interesting...at the store they are sold fully submerged and I have read on here the same that you said...about them not being fully submergible...hmmmm....well, I will prob leave them in for a little longer until I can get some other plants in there..hopefully this evening! but thanks...i just find that so strange!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store