DIY Perfect-A-Hood MKII

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Well, it would seem that my current plants didn't have enough light, and this bothered me immensly, something had to be done about it.

I didn't want to go buy another hood, nor did I wish to spend the time or money right now to build one (neither of which I have) so I figured I could fit 4 15W CF's into the hood, instead of using the single 17W tube.

All I would need are sockets, angle brackets and some screws.

I have 5 chandeliers sitting around so I took the sockets out of one of them, and I have angle brackets, screws, and nuts in abundance, so all was good to go.

now the tank is much brighter, although I still don't like how the hood doesn't cover the entire length of the tank.

The lights not only look nice, and fit perfectly, they actually get in the way of the LEDs, providing a more diffused moonlight, with only a beam in the middle, which looks like it could be a moonbeam.

I haven't decided yet weather or not to use the blue bulbs.

DSCF2712.JPG DSCF2713.JPG DSCF2714.JPG

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Nicely done....where the heck dija find the blue CFLs???

Exactly what I've been thinking abt doing to my 20H hood...24", should be able to get 3 of 'em in there.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
the blue ones are sold as party lights i think.... I actually found them in a dollar store lol.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Good to go!!!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
nice work, got any tank shots with the different combinations?

Mexican Racoon

Se?or Member
Mar 13, 2005
Memphis, TN
Nice toes.

Can you get a shot of night lights?

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Cool idea....might do this to mine as I have two of those hoods across my 55g tank.

When you wired in the sockets did you tie them into the on/off switch built in the hood or did you just hard wire them straight into the plugin cord?

I use a timer for my lights so I was thinking I could just hard wire straight into the cord and not worry with the switch.

My tank isnt planted (for now anyway) but I would like having some different light combinations to brighten the tank up some since the 17w bulbs dont do alot.And if later down the road I decide to add live plants then lighting wouldnt be a big issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store