Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY - Root Tabs

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by Riiz, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

Monday at 4:49 PM
    Yes, I bought the clay yesterday and I will be ordering dry ferts soon to make my own tabs, as well as being able to dose the aquarium for plants like the java ferns that pull from the water column.

Does anyone have any advise on dosing when you are using water column ferts and tabs for your root plants?

2. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 3:33 AM
    It all depends on your "home water". It can be all over the place.

I never worry about java fern, anubias or mosses getting "enough" ferts, they can make do with whatever or none. I use fert tabs for swords & crypts mostly...Stem plants prefer water column ferts.

Have you looked at your GH & KH? On both coasts I had soft water (low of both)...but also had hard water in MI & DE. Water is local, lol, & can be hard to understand. At least you can look up your city water & get an idea of what you have. Keep in mind water can be "seasonal" too; different in winter than summer...or spring & fall...

Where I live now it's soft, but even a town or 2 over it can be very different...even on the "same supply" it may not be the same...

3. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

I'll have to check my notes on the GH but the KH is 7 and a bit. Phosphates in the tap water is nearly 2. So I think I'm going to have to use a mechanical filtration like Poly-filter to reduce the phosphates to between .5 - 1. Once my plants are back healthy and thriving I don't think I will have a phosphate issue. I just need to get it down so I can get the plants the iron they need.
    It never ceases to amaze me how a slight imbalance of a nutrient that your plants need could end up killing them.

4. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

The red clay is supposed provide iron, whether it's enough is not something I can't tell.

Please keep us updated on how things work for you, either here or in a new thread.

Fish food can add a "significant" amount of phosphate, keep that in mind too.

5. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

I added deep blue phos removing filter pad two days ago and did a 40 gal water change today and the phosphates are still maxing my test kit.

6. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

GH is 100mg/l = 5.6D

7. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

OK, your water is much harder than mine is. I'm not sure on the phosphates, I've never checked.

I guess I'm not sure what product you're using...the stuff I'm thinking of is a "pillow" of slightly off white tiny bits that can be recharged (Polysorb?). A dark blue "pad" I don't know...

8. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

A dark blue "pad" I don't know...[/QUOTE]

Deep Blue is the brand name. Sorry for the typo.

9. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

No problem, I just don't know that product...

10. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Sunday at 1:00 AM
    Fish, are you thinking of polyfilter?