Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

DIY - Root Tabs

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by Riiz, Oct 11, 2008.

1. dougall

dougall ...

Today at 10:30 AM
    Polyfilter isn't a pillow if small white bits.. maybe she was thinking of Purigen

2. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:08 AM
    Oops, you're right, sorry.

3. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Jan 13, 2019
    Ah, yeah. My brain disregarded that descriptor for some reason. Maybe because she said "polysorb" and he said "blue pad" are why my brain went to polyfilter. But Purigen would make more sense. I would imagine that the other "rechargeable" medias from Seachem look similar. I haven't used any of them, but I would imagine so.

Seachem does have a product called PhosGuard, which may be useful in reducing phosphate levels.

4. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

Friday at 9:32 PM
    I'm still having trouble controlling the phosphates. I'm doing 1-2 water changes a week and have not been able to get phosphates down from maxing my test parameters. I'll change out the phosphate pad this weekend and do a significant water change and see if that helps.

5. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

The poly filter is very expensive compared to the deep blue brand pads. I may have to suck it up and buy some.

6. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Since I've already proven my incompetence in distinguishing Polyfilter from Purigen...is Polyfilter rechargeable too? I think that may be part of my confusion.

I have some blue colored poly- "media" but I'm pretty sure Polyfilter is different...Help? How do I tell?

Really, after 35+ years in the hobby there's stuff I just don't get yet. Can you "esplain it to me"?, lol. I feel lame...

7. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

8. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

Supposedly poly filter can be run in salt or fresh water. If you run in fresh, you recharge in salt and vice versa in salt.

fishorama likes this.
  9. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Yes, that's what I remember too! Thanks! I feel less lame now...but only less...

10. Trey Turner

Trey Turner AC Members

So I ordered all my dry fertz to make my own root tabs. The CSM contains .1% copper. What is a safe concentration for snails and shrimp? I currently only have a couple of assassin snails and a few mystery snails plus a boat load of the small pest snails. I wouldn't mind if it hurts the pest snail population, but Id like to keep my mystery snails. I don't have any shrimp right now and I would like to add some in the future. I know the concentration will change depending on how many root tabs I use. Does anyone know what the safe concentration is for copper with invertebrates?