DIY Undergravel Jet System

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

partsrep

Go Yankees!
Mar 16, 2005
LI, NY
Here's some shots of my DIY Undergravel Jet System.

1. The first shot is the basic layout showing the closed loop system. I used a semi rigid .50" ID tubing I found at the local hardware store, and standard 1/2" fittings I found in the home irrigation department. I made a barb to barb elbow by using a barb to threaded elbow and a straight barb. The straight barb is just pressed in the inside of the threaded end. This allowed me to connect the tubing the same way all the way around. I then attached the entire setup to a peice of eggcrate cut to fit inside the tubing. This will help hold everything in place and provide a safe and sturdy base for my large rocks.

2. Next we have a shot from the same level as the bottom of the tank to illustrate how low it stays in the tank. If I use 1.5" of substrate it will only leave .25" of nozzle exposed above the surface.

3. The jet nozzle was made from some of the semi rigid plastic tubing I used for the main plumbing. I heated a short section in boiling water then squeezed the end with a pliers and cooled it under running water.

4. Next is the pump connection. I used a Maxi-Jet 900 pump which has a 1/2" OD outlet nozzle which fit perfectly into the tubing. A foam filter will eventually be placed on the intake grid of the pump and will add to my bio filtration.

5. I finished up with a flow test and as you can see there is adequate flow from the jets. Once I filled the tank completely there was a nice gentle, natural feeling current throughout the tank.

6. Total cost: $20 for the powerhead, $12 for tubing & fittings, $9 for the eggcrate.

Plumbing layout.JPG Pipe level.JPG Jet nozzle.JPG Pump connection.JPG Rt side jet flow.JPG

partsrep

Go Yankees!
Mar 16, 2005
LI, NY
Smaller African Cichlids.

o_grande_rei

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2007
Gilbert, AZ
So after two years, how is it working? I ask because I want a UGJ system for my 55 gallon tank. I am just starting it and I have seen a few different plans. I'm trying to figure out which will work best. Also, why did you do a closed ;oop system as apposed to an open loop? Is there a difference? Thanks!!!

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Agree, great craftsmanship bro! ;)

FishyFry

Feeds low on the food chain
Apr 7, 2007
Michigan
www.pandk.org
Very nice! I'm thinking that to flip that system so that it resides at the top of the tank and points in (without the eggcrate and a smaller pump maybe), would make a good variation for someone who needs a spray bar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store