[DIY] What can i use like biological filter media ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
Hi guys i was wondering what can i use like biological filter media , for my second HOB filter because it has some free space .

ONLY DIY THINGS!

P.S = Don't say lava rock

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another sponge?

Most anything with a hard surface will work as bacterial media.

Just needs to be porous enough that water will flow through it, and it will also have a greater surface area.

And why not lava rock?

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
Another sponge?

Most anything with a hard surface will work as bacterial media.

Just needs to be porous enough that water will flow through it, and it will also have a greater surface area.

And why not lava rock?
Well , not lava rock because my HOB filter isn't that big to put lava rock in it and i only found a bag of lava rock 2kg which is to MUCH for me because i only need like 50g of lava rock .

And can i use some pvc pipe or plastic straw for beneficial bacteria , and if yes which is better?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can... One caveat to the above, you need to make sure that whatever you use is not treated with an anti-bacterial chemical or pretty much anything.

I wouldn't use straws because of the likelihood that they would flatten and block water flow,

PVC would work, but I would use the smallest thickness possible and cut to as short a length as possible.

But again.. not terribly porous.

If you are looking for something around the house that is cheap and easy to get, maybe look at plain pot scrubbers, it will have much more surface area than something more 'hard'

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If you want max surface area, you can't beat activated charcoal. Even after the chemical capabilities are expended, nothing man-made has greater surface area.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
If not pot scrubbers, I'd just put in more filter floss. What do you use in the other hob filter?
I have lots of floss on hand and I cut it to size for various filters.

Mike Blackfish

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2019
Hi guys i was wondering what can i use like biological filter media , for my second HOB filter because it has some free space .

ONLY DIY THINGS!

P.S = Don't say lava rock
I like these. You can cut to size, you can wash them in your washing machine with bleach. They reuse them dozens of times.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store