Do any instant cycle products work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
I been out of the hobby for a while and I started back with 3 tanks cycled. But 12 more to go and I wanna get this done quicker.

In the past it seems that none of the instant cycle products on market work. How about now? Any that's particularly effective?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I haven't tried any new ones or heard from any reputable source that they work but I don't pay attention to them anymore so there might be something out there that works.

Why are you setting up 15 tanks in a hurry? Not trying to knock you just trying to get the whole picture to better help.

For mass fast cycling I would take an empty tank, line the bottom with air diffusers, then egg crate with media on it (seeded media at the bottom) and dose pure ammonia till all the media is cycled. With a good batch of seeded media it shouldn't take long at all. If you are using sponge filters as your main filters, take the dirty sponges and squeeze them out onto your new sponges (get your sponges dirty, yes lol) and then run those new sponges with the ammonia till cycled.

Depending what you are trying to achieve with these tanks, packing them with fast growing plants can make a huge difference. Pothos roots in the water is a big nutrient absorber too.

Reactions: fishorama

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agree on all account. You can do the same thing with the filter media and a couple power heads instead of sponge filters in a tote--the point is to get water with ammonia flowing over the media, nothing says that has to be done inside a power filter or inside the main tank.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just be sure to keep the ammonia that you dose down in safe levels, lest you kill off some of the bacteria you are culturing.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are a couple "fast cycle" products I've "heard" work. Dr Tim's 1 & Only & Tetra Safe Start (not Tetra Safe, a dechlor). You want the correct species of nitrosomas bacteria. But you also want to make sure any can process 1-2ppm ammonia in 24 hours...that's the true test of being cycled & fish safe. Test often to be sure!

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
Thanks guys but I know how to cycle tanks, I just wanted to see if there was any significant improvements in instant tank cycle technology

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
There are a couple "fast cycle" products I've "heard" work. Dr Tim's 1 & Only & Tetra Safe Start (not Tetra Safe, a dechlor). You want the correct species of nitrosomas bacteria. But you also want to make sure any can process 1-2ppm ammonia in 24 hours...that's the true test of being cycled & fish safe. Test often to be sure!
Yeah a few years back the instant cycle products weren't reliable because of the fact that they didn't use the proper nitrifying bacteria and or wasn't stable enough to be ship stored until use.

Interesting, I'll look up Dr. Tim and Tetra safe

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I am always sceptical of any chemicals to add to an aquarium.

Personally I would seed using established media, and not use any 'bottled bacteria's any information I have currently would be anecdotal and I see no reason to change that.

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
Depending what you are trying to achieve with these tanks, packing them with fast growing plants can make a huge difference. Pothos roots in the water is a big nutrient absorber too.
Pothos is generally a slow growing plant so it doesn't really absorb nutrients any faster than any other aquatic plant. But depending on its conditions, accelerated grow might facilitate in absorbing more nitrate than normal.

Move over and importantly, it will absorb nitrates but not nitrites or ammonia, nitrates won't be produced in a tank that's being cycled. So unfortunately, it has limited uses in a fresh tank but perhaps more useful in a no water change mature tank

martialtheory

my hands are never dry
Oct 14, 2007
I am always sceptical of any chemicals to add to an aquarium.

Personally I would seed using established media, and not use any 'bottled bacteria's any information I have currently would be anecdotal and I see no reason to change that.
To each their own, but I see nothing wrong with using added chemicals. Its not the inherent nature of chemicals that makes it dangerous but rather the application that may make them dangerous

That being said, I like knowing there are options out there if I so choose to use it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store