Do any instant cycle products work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The majority of folks I know in the hobby would either have enough spare filter media to seed one or a few aquariums, I don't see a need to personally use any bottled bacteria products.

My second alternative would be the 'silent cycle' and just dum a bunch of fast growing plants somewhere in the water system.

Feel free to use bottled products, they aren't gonna be my bag, but you should be able to follow the results of using them if you so wish.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Pothos is generally a slow growing plant so it doesn't really absorb nutrients any faster than any other aquatic plant. But depending on its conditions, accelerated grow might facilitate in absorbing more nitrate than normal.

Move over and importantly, it will absorb nitrates but not nitrites or ammonia, nitrates won't be produced in a tank that's being cycled. So unfortunately, it has limited uses in a fresh tank but perhaps more useful in a no water change mature tank
But pothos has 2 big advantages to aquatic plants. 1 it can use atmospheric CO2 and 2 it requires very low light. I have never heard anything about pothos not absorbing ammonia or nitrite, if fact just recently a member here used pothos to combat high tap water ammonia levels with great success.

lamar

AC Members
Dec 24, 2017
Products? Im not sure about them although I have heard Dr. Foster and smiths live nytrifying bacteria works. However try this one tank at a time. . Try filling a new tank with 50% cycled water from an established tank. Also use some subtrate from an established tank and finally some used and cycled filter media from a cycled tank. Make sure all remaining water is dechlorinated. This has worked "VERY" well for me and my friend that has an aquarium store in the past

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There's not really anything in the water that's beneficial. Substrate will introduce the microfauna needed, similar to using seeded media or the filter 'grunge'.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store