do we have any piranha people on here?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ofarevolution31

da nite jus brings us back together
Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
sublime1184 said:
Mine is a 29g right now, I just bought a 55g for him that will go through a cycle soon. He is ok for now, only about 6 inches. The lettuce\cucumber idea is very tricky. you HAVE to use a vegi clip since it floats. and I had to turn all lights off and wait. I was patient enough to wait 5 days before feeding him. he wouldn't eat that stuff until the 4th or 5th day.....Its nice to just water the garden and go pick some earthworms out. Try those, its safe and free! They should like those, my RBP just attacks when I toss them in there. Any wounded bugs or insects go in the tank pretty much. As far as rats and mice, never do it. It clouds your water very bad, clogs your filter and messes up ur tank chemistry pretty bad.
yeah.. i dont know. i dont think im goin to try that but yeah.. i wont do mice. but i might try to get some worms or earth worms or w.e lol. but yeha i need to find more foods for them, they need a bid diet... i feed them 2 times a day tho... so yeah.. or once

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
I have not had Piranha in years. I like them and would not mind getting some again, but the wife does not want me to get any. The main reason, the feeding of goldfish.
Although I have thought they might be able to eat pellet food. I have also gotten into lizards again so I could feed meal worms as well.
Here's a picture of the Piranha I had many years ago.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/odds_ends.html

ofarevolution31

Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
haha yeah. u should try and get them agian tho. they r really cool... thats what most ppl say... thas gross feeding them fish. but w.e jus normal... lol

Nov 15, 2004
elgecko said:
I have not had Piranha in years. I like them and would not mind getting some again, but the wife does not want me to get any. The main reason, the feeding of goldfish.
Although I have thought they might be able to eat pellet food. I have also gotten into lizards again so I could feed meal worms as well.
Here's a picture of the Piranha I had many years ago.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/odds_ends.html
The problem being that feeder goldfish are so un-nutrional and disease prone, you should just feed them fathead minnows, my RBP loves them and I have a reliable source so that I don't have to raise my own. I would suggest getting them again as well.

ofarevolution31

Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
hey

um ok.. well how do u get them.. arent they kinda exsepnsive or what??

i know gold fishr bad for feeding, but they r kinda cheap and they like to hunt for them.

Nov 15, 2004
Local Bait Shop gives me a half dozen for 50 cents. Fathead minnows are a much, much better choice for feeders, and are about the same in cost, maybe a little more but I don't think so....

ofarevolution31

Apr 11, 2005
portland, oregon
oic.. well i dont think i can get a good deal for them. so i jus stay with feeders, but sometimes i buy some other cheap fish to feed them... i got to go.. bbl. thanks

Nov 15, 2004
ofarevolution31 said:
oic.. well i dont think i can get a good deal for them. so i jus stay with feeders, but sometimes i buy some other cheap fish to feed them... i got to go.. bbl. thanks

any local bait shop carries them and they are cheap as can be, as cheap as or cheaper than comets or rosies. Plus they are better for fish to eat than goldfish. They are considered feeders so if you got a bait shop near you, go for it! In my case, my LBS is closer and carries healthy minnows....so it works for me.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
My buddy has 4 red bellies in a 55 gallon.

and has a Serrasalmus manueli (biggest species of piranha known) juvinile in a 30 gallon. which is moving to a 125. since they get about 2-3'

Personally, I really dont think piranhas are worth it. they aren't very active fish. They just bob there, until they are fed. and even during feeding, by no means is it the frenzy one would expect. just casual nips for a while until the prey is gone.

they have the reputation though, which is 80% false. they are some of the most skittish fish i've seen. You walk in the room, and they bash into the glass on the other side of the tank trying to escape.

I'd have to say if your really looking to get an agressive fish, get a flowerhorn, or a snakehead. snakeheads have the power. and flowerhorns? **** I wouldnt want to be 20ft near a flower horn in a pond.

I'd have to say piranhas are mainly cool for the reason that you can go around and tell people HEY MAN I GOT PIRANHAS! and they'll be like **** DUDE! WHOA!. If you starve em for a week, they'll put on a good show though.

my 2 cents.

fishyman45

AC Members
Jul 3, 2005
my LFS scares me the way they deal with their pirahnas. they put them with a 3 in tall, 1 foot wide opening on the top of the tank, and the aisle is only 3 feet wide! once i saw 1 jump around and i was scared it would jump out and get me! :thud:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store