Do you go fishing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishnfvr

AC Members
Dec 10, 2010
Not badmouthing some of you here but like someone said, unless you are vegan, live in a 100% eco friendly house and peddle your bicycle to school or work don't feel superior. Fish are a lower order of animals. They have limited capacity to feel and do not "think" as we do. Although they struggle when caught they do not feel pain as we feel it. If you eat fish sticks, hamburger or any meat at all please don't respond saying fishing is cruel. In that train of thought so is capturing fish in the wild, moving them thousands of miles to live out their life in a small fish tank for the remainder of their life.

Personally I love to fish. Went today. 5 of us caught 24 trout and 2 sauger. We cleaned them and will enjoy them later this week. I was taught from an early age where my food comes from and have no qualms about it. I do not eat store bought hamburger and rarely eat wild fish out. Because I have worked in both commercial fishing operations and slaughter houses and know what happens in the real world. If you want to do something you can feel good about stop eating shrimp. Commercial shrimping destroys many more non-target animals than shrimp.

fishnfvr, where are you catching the sturgeon? I would love to catch one. The closest we can get is snagging paddlefish although we do eat them...
EXACTLY - Unless you are a TRUE vegetarian - you should not bash fishing.... seems a little hypocritical - and I sure hope none of you eat salmon out of a can or tuna for that matter - lol

nonamesleft - we fish the Fraser river.... tagged over 300 sturgeon (this year) - all catch and release... we volunteer for the Rick Hansens Fraser river sturgeon conservation society.... If you have never caught a sturgeon - DO get out and try it - it is a blast! You would not believe their strength! and put on such a show... when you see a 8 foot sturgeon jumping completely out of the water - it is an awesome site! Definitely MY FAVORITE fish to fish for...

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I think if someone has a problem with us that like to fish, you should start your own thread and leave this one alone. Thank you.

In the meantime this is one I got over the summer:
Bluefish
IMG00043_2.jpg

I love the fight and the meat. Long Island Sound, friend's backyard.

IMG00043_2.jpg

2rivers

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
NH
Real Name
Brandon
The only reason I still live in NH is for the clean cold waters. My father was a dip**** so I struck-out into nature and have been fishin since I could walk. Its my life.

Felf808

AC Members
Feb 8, 2010
Hawaii
I've been shore casting since I was 5 and deep sea fishing/diving since I was 8, so I've been at it for about 20 years total. Nothing beats hearing a Marlin strip a couple hundred yards of line off a reel in less than a minute. I haven't had time to go in recent years, so I've been surfing and aquascaping but still...nothing compares. As far as food vs sport, I do both because my family has been doing it for generations, we live on an island, and they taste good. My biggest fish to date is a 450lb blue marlin, but I'm afraid that I will not be seeing or hearing of any that big in the future which is sadly making me reconsider continuing my favorite hobby :(

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Overall, I think you will find fishermen and hunters to be more ecologically aware than non-sportsmen. No, not all sportsmen, as there are jerks in every crowd that take from nature just for the heck of it. They harvest and waste without thought to the future. It's no different than having the person that keeps goldfish in a desk bowl. No matter how much you educate them they will refuse to change their ways.

(There are also many people that catch fish and give them away to soup kitchens and such.)

nonamesleft47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Great looking bluefish, excuzzzeme!

That's a nice one! Used to catch alot of blues in NC during the summers I spent there. Been fishing Florida the last few years, few blues around. A couple of years ago we got there on the tail end of a big storm. The water was pure mud. The pier was deserted but we went anyway. The water was full of blues and black tip sharks. None of the families we were with had eaten bluefish before. I made believers out of them. Bluefish and blacktip steaks on the grill, nothing better!

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I keep fish and I love to fish. Love to eat fish too. Got so into fishing I started building my own rods because I couldn't find what I liked in stores. Love to spearfish too. Way to many expensive hobbies I have. Love using artificials. 99% Saltwater fishing. Too bad my boat hasn't see saltwater in 11 years. Now it's pier fishing and wading as of late. Gas is too expensive for the boat. Back then it would cost $50 just in fuel. Imagine that would be over 200 now. (Between the boat and the tow vehicle anyway)

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I hit the local ponds every night with the 3wt fly rod for a couple hours. Every once and awhile my sons or I will bring home a couple gills or a small bass to release in our pond. Been flyfishing and fly tying for over 30 yrs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store