Do you really need a carbon cartridge in your filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Carbon can leech but not under conditions that fish can live in so no worry there. Used carbon really won't affect meds of any sort. And carbon lasting a week would be a miricle.

Will it hurt to use carbon, not at all. But it will hurt the pocket book if you want to use carbon to its full advantage as that would mean new carbon each week. And frankly weekly large water changes will do most things that carbon does anyway.

zmazza

nano r33f 4 u
Feb 21, 2006
I purhcased some quilt batting yesterday. Some premium fiber fill. I want to put some in my 100gph HOB filter as well as my 250gph HOB filter. How much do I put in? Do I need to put it IN something? Or do I just pull some out and shove it in the filter? Does it need to be replaced? Is there anything else I need to do to get mechanical and biological filtration?

It's got the bio media that came with the filter... that little porous pad. Do I just need to put it and the fiber fill in there and let it run?

Also, how should I put it in my aquaclear 70 when the carbon runs out? I'm going to replace the carbon with the fiber fill.

Thanks guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store