Do you turn off the filter during a water change

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you turn off your filter during water changes?

• Yes--I turn it off

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • No--I leave it on

Votes: 53 51.5%

• Total voters

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i had a sump on my 50g once. it was super awesome. unfortunately when i moved and broke it down i had to take apart the plumbing in the overflow and the rubber gasket/o-ring/sealing piece now doesn't sit right and leaks. i've been to more plumbing supply stores than i can remember, and none of them carry anything even similar to what i need. so, no more sump.

when adding water back in i put the end of the pyhon into the filter when the water gets up over the end of the tubeand let em fill up and they start filtering againl
hopefully you are on a well. adding chlorinated tap water directly to the filter is a really good way to kill all your bacterial colonies.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Try a pool supply store. One with parts for filters. They have tons and tons of gaskets for sand filters. You might get lucky.

dr_sudz

Round Peg, In A Square hole
Nov 20, 2005
Milton Ontario, Canada
I mainly leave my filters going unless working with the sumps.
It sounds to me like your impellor is not doing very well, possibly even wearing out. The magnet sometimes sticks on older filters especially if they have run for a little while with little or no water in them. I have had this happen to a couple of filters over the years.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i tried a couple pool/spa places. no luck.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Can't you just buy impellors separately instead of buying a whole new filter. I can swear I remember them being sold by themselves. Also, if your Eclipse system type filter breaks, where can you buy another one?

ddot

U.S. Navy
Nov 14, 2006
little here, little there
alot of the time the manufacturer sells replacement parts(ie. impellers,gaskets)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store