Does this guppy look like a platy/guppy mix?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
To The V - I don't know anything about fish genetics in particular, however I don't know that they necessarily would have the exact same potential DNA, I mean, in all likely hood they would, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be expressed the same way in the phenotype. Also, look at ligers vs tigons. The different sex of the parent crosses certainly makes a difference in this case.

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
I've had M guppy x F black molly that have produced a very different-looking fish from this one. It had speckled pigments of grey, but neither like marble nor dalmatian molly.

sherlock1315

Registered Member
May 21, 2011
okay... this is what happened to me. My 2 females are pregnant from guppies and i dont have any male platies in the tank.

CurlyFrys

Registered Member
Oct 28, 2011
it seems to be 1/2 molly
guppies can interbreed with mollies and endlers and produce viable offspring. there is a debate over whether endlers are guppies or not though. platies and swordtails can interbreed and produce viable offspring.
but that is it. platies and guppies cannot interbreed at all. also female livebearers can store sperm for several months. I have tested this in my many years of fish keeping. also there are many papers and research
it oddly enough. though I'm not too surprised scientists and hobbyists do like to study and explore just about everything. hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store