Don't throw out that old incandesant light hood.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is quite helpful! I will have to take a trip to homedepot and get some bulbs, I hate the look of those skinny bulbs. Its right next to another tank with flourescent lighting and it looks so icky and yellow *barf*

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well I went and got the bulbs. They seem to be the same ones in the picture in the first post, not the same brand but they are the 60w equivalent but really 14 watts. I put them in my tank and they seem awfully bright. Its right next to another tank that has a fluorescent bulb and which I thought was bright but this tank is like glowing. Does the brightness affect the fish at all?

Also, the lightblubs seem to get really really hot. Is this normal? I thought these kind wouldn't get that bright...

If it matters, the brand I got was n:vision from home depot.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
i got the n:vision and had them on my 10g without a problem, plants love em and the fish dont really care. They are very bright but they are in the right kelvin temperature so it doesnt make the fish pale/transparent as regular 10K daylight bulbs would. They do get warm but do not give off as much heat as the incandescent. The only thing i read about the n:vision bulbs in particular is that they usually take a few seconds to warm up and give off full amount of light. Other than that the bulbs are great.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
anyone using the candles?

http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/department.asp?sub=15&dep=Chandelier(Candle)

they are almost the same size as the original incandescents...

I found a Plainton 7w 2700k bulb that is really narrow, no more than 1/4" bigger than the incandescent... the box shows that they make it in 41 and 6400k... but the shop didn't have those. anyone have a source?

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
anyone using the candles?

http://www.lightbulbdepot.com/department.asp?sub=15&dep=Chandelier(Candle)

they are almost the same size as the original incandescents...

I found a Plainton 7w 2700k bulb that is really narrow, no more than 1/4" bigger than the incandescent... the box shows that they make it in 41 and 6400k... but the shop didn't have those. anyone have a source?
your link didnt work.. but heres a fix
LINK
Those bulbs would be great around the house but dont know about adding it to the aquarium since the max is 9 watts. Well i guess if someone could maybe use it for some 2.5-5g tank but still.
Its interesting to see the inside of that bulb. The top is just a plastic cover and inside theres a regular tiny spiral bulb

edh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
"Chicagoland"
Do these resist burning up due to water splashes better than the regular incandescent bulbs?

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
I found the same bulbs at home depot a few months ago. Used 2 for the tank and two for the lights in my room :D
Just a heads up tho, the bright white light is actually yellow, and the daylight one is white. I got the wrong lightbulb(didn't know about k rating until I opened the package)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store