Dry Ferilizer Application

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
Foks:

I did not want to hijack another thread and hence I generated this thread.

TR

... Bulk dry nutrients are the way to go. Also bulk dry nutrients are MUCH cheaper than buying bottled water.
Rex and/or Folks:

Background:

I have a 110G with a wet/dry with a large sump.

The return water chamber is approximately 15% of the tank volume and the pump provides an approximate 9X/hour turnover volume.

Questions:

One:

Can I add the appropriate amount of teaspoons of the dry ferts to the return chamber or

do I need to "mix up" the dry ferts in a small vessel with RO water before adding to the sump?

Two

How in the world does one ascertain the concentration of trace minerals, phosphates, iron, etc in the tank water?

TR

Volenti

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
Australia
1, you can, though I make up bulk solutions with demineralized water, easier to measure out and I don't have to worry about dissolving dry chemicals in the tank water.

2. There are test kits available for most of what we have to measure or ways to calculate what is there from other parameters. I use a commercial trace mix (iron+trace) and only use dry chemicals for macro elements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store