Dual Tank System Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Wow, been a while for sure... ummmm.. I have to go back to what I said on the last page about LEDs... I was wrong about what I posted on the previous page. LEDs will make corals glow MUCH more than tubes will. Looking back at my post all I can think of now is "wow, what a idiotic thing to say" about my own post. Just wanted to clear that up.. and YES, we are very interested in seeing pics of your progress. Please don't think the lack of replies means lack of interests.. some text post updates don't receive responses if they are just updates.. but you post 1 picture and you will get a dozen responses to it. ;)

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Will do guys, I'll get some up this weekend while I do my plumbing. I'm going to attempt to plumb the majority of the system (minus the closed loop, I haven't bought the oceans motions devices yet).

On my list to get the system running:
- Plumb
- Have an electrician install a new 20amp circuit and outlets near the equipment cabinet.
- Buy the flow redirector (oceans motions), debating if the squirt is big enough for my needs
- See if a pump I have will work for the CL, or if I need to buy a quieter pump.
- Build a faux rock wall using rock rubble and expansion foam
- Put my turf scrubbing setup together (doing something similar to what you did Ace, to save costs)
- Cycle

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I wish I could be there to help. I'm looking forward to seeing it all though.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Ok pictures!

equipcabinet1.jpg
The main equipment cabinet. The small cabinet on the right houses the Reeflo Blackfin pump I picked up. The sump is about 50g and refugium 20g (so about 70g total). There is also a 20g Quarantine tank across from the empty refugium. My water filter is on the back wall of the cabinet.

equipcabinet2.jpg
Full picture of the entire cabinet. you can see the water storage tank above as well here. I have my ATS setup, but haven't installed the lights yet (no electricity to the cabinet yet really, going to have an electrician out shortly). I picked up some rubber waterproof light sockets and plan to fit them into a 1.5" PVC tube that will hang from the ceiling (3 lights total). Will use CFL's, probably 120w equiv's.

equipcabinet3.jpg
And a full few view of the sump. The filter is just resting where i plan to put in a hanger to hold it there. The main drain will not drain into the filter (as I'm worried about the amount of flow that could be coming down) so the secondary drains and drain from the refugium will instead. That valve you see coming off the lower pipe that stretches from right to left is a relief valve for the main pump (to control the pressure). I plan to use a secondary pump to pump the water out of the sump directly to a drain nearby. After which I will simply open the valve from the water reservoir on top and refill, instant water change.

equipcabinet1.jpg equipcabinet2.jpg equipcabinet3.jpg

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
And a couple pics of the concrete fixtures i made. Still need to make the false walls for the sides of the tanks.

concreterock1.jpg
The one on the left will be for the second tank. The one on the right will be for the first tank (reef tank). The one on the right has been curing in a tank of water for about a month now.

concreterock2.jpg
Better pick of the second tank's fixture.

concreterock3.jpg
Better pick of the first tanks fixture.

The holes in the ends will be where the closed loop drain will be, and you can see the cut outs in the side of the rock where a couple of the returns will come out. I plan to use these only as base rocks and they will be surrounded and covered with real life rock. They turned out pretty well I think.

concreterock1.jpg concreterock2.jpg concreterock3.jpg

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Got the rest of the equipment ordered today. 2 x 200w heaters (+ what I already have), 1 Eheim 900gph pump for the closed loop, lots of salt, a bunch of various plumbing parts and bulkheads. Plus I am going to get the flow redirector ordered here shortly as well. That should pretty much complete all my major needs to get the tank running aside from some dry rock and sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store