dwarf chain loaches eating snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
thats really it. will dwarf chain loaches eat snails? my 180 i sso over run with mts that my filters cant hardly run without being stopped up with them. i really need something to eat these down to a reasonable number. the tank is a heavily planted, community tank. so if anyone has a suggestion that isnt a yo yo or a clown, please let me know

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I had mts with sids and noticed a few empty shells here and there, but to be quite honest I really doubt they put much of a dent in the overall population. They just multiply so quickly. A much better way to keep them in line would be to cut down on feeding and/or up your maintenance so there isn't a lot of extra food lying around.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Get a common pleco.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My sids ate pond snails but I still had them in the filters. A prefilter is a good idea although I get a few pond snails even with them, not sure if MTS are as determined to get through foam. The only loaches I have had lately with MTS that ate them are histrionicas but they're kinda hard on some plants.

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
i have used prefilter in the past, and while that does sow them down, it doesnt stop them. and them being in the filters is only half the problem. a common pleco is out of the question for my tank, and i cant see how it would clean up a snail population too. I already have a royal, 2 emporers, 2 blue panaque, 1 rubbernose, 1 blue seam, and several bushynose in the tank. i dont want any losches that willget real big, yo yos woyuld be the biggest i want in the tank. im mostly looking for suggestions for a smaller loach that i can obtain in the states.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
i have used prefilter in the past, and while that does sow them down, it doesnt stop them. and them being in the filters is only half the problem. a common pleco is out of the question for my tank, and i cant see how it would clean up a snail population too. I already have a royal, 2 emporers, 2 blue panaque, 1 rubbernose, 1 blue seam, and several bushynose in the tank. i dont want any losches that willget real big, yo yos woyuld be the biggest i want in the tank. im mostly looking for suggestions for a smaller loach that i can obtain in the states.
what type of prefilter did you use? Never found any in my HOBs using one like this...

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/14583/product.web
Get a common pleco.
If your common pleco eats MTS then it has an identity problem...:rolleyes:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
what about dwarf pea puffers, not sure? no experience,

yoyos work great, but you said no, so i would try zebras or skunks?

assassins are great and +3 on covering the filter intake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store