Dwarf Gourami with black around its mouth?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bailey7091

AC Members
Sep 8, 2020
I heard from a wholesaler the other day they are no longer stocking dwarf gourami's... they are too inbred and too weak. It won't stop others to keep selling fish with a life span of a couple of months, though.

Thanks to people insisting to mix temperate fish (koi, goldfish) with tropical fish pathogens can and do spread to other species.
I sadly didn’t buy them they were a gift from someone else. If it was me I wouldn’t have gotten them because I do know their history. But now that I have them I just want to make them as happy as they can be!

Bailey7091

AC Members
Sep 8, 2020
I meant the captive bred aquarium fish can't get these, wild caught ones can, carp family can, trout family can, salmon can. The fish we eat or wild caught ones.
I don't believe that fish get herpes.
Parameters "all good"? You always need to provide the exact numbers of your parameters for your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Is the tank cycled? Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? If yes, for how long did you cycle the tank?

I might know what you mean by 'red spot'. Does it look like a small red spot/bump? This might be because of poor water quality. Monitor you water water parameters, and if ammonia (NH3 / NH4) and/or nitrite (NO2) are above 0ppm, do a 75% water change including vacuuming your substrate.

For the final question, what size tanks do you own and what fish and how much of each?
Tested the water 3 days ago when I first posted this.
ph- 7.0
Ammonia- .25 (I did treat for this)
Nitrate- 20 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm

this tank has been up and running for 5 months with the same fish
1 dwarf gourami
3 albino Cory
1 beta
1 African dwarf frog
1 German blue ram
2 Otocinclus
Just so you know all the information about 2 months ago my tank had a bad case of ick that went around but cleared up. Sorry I should’ve put that in the original post. I did lose 5 fish 1 German blue ram, 1 African dwarf frog, and 3 Julian Corys. I treated it with bactershield. My tank size is a 40 gallon breeder, well planted.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
You don't treat for ammonia, if ammonia build up is too high, you change water! That's the golden rule, you don't ever use chemicals to take out ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, though, a safe chemical you can use for removing above you can use Seachem Prime.
The frogs, do better at 10 gallon tank with no fish at all in there, they thrive actually.
Bettas, are not suitable for community fish at all. They are aggressive and are call Siamese Fighting Fish for no reason!
Have 6 or more corydoras, they are schooling/shoaling fish and they thrive in bigger numbers, you can fit 15 of them easily in that size tank.
I'm unsure, but clearly heard this somewhere, some kind/s of Rams require higher temperatures and therefore they will die of cold water reasons, give it away to your local store for best.
And circling back to your water parameters, I'm afraid that your tank might be still trying to cycle. Nitrates should be kept below 20ppm.

Bailey7091

AC Members
Sep 8, 2020
You don't treat for ammonia, if ammonia build up is too high, you change water! That's the golden rule, you don't ever use chemicals to take out ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, though, a safe chemical you can use for removing above you can use Seachem Prime.
The frogs, do better at 10 gallon tank with no fish at all in there, they thrive actually.
Bettas, are not suitable for community fish at all. They are aggressive and are call Siamese Fighting Fish for no reason!
Have 6 or more corydoras, they are schooling/shoaling fish and they thrive in bigger numbers, you can fit 15 of them easily in that size tank.
I'm unsure, but clearly heard this somewhere, some kind/s of Rams require higher temperatures and therefore they will die of cold water reasons, give it away to your local store for best.
And circling back to your water parameters, I'm afraid that your tank might be still trying to cycle. Nitrates should be kept below 20ppm.
As I said earlier I did have multiple Corys but they passed I don’t want to bring in and more/ new fish or move any until I know what is going on with the gourami. What ever it is had passed to my ram and the ram was found with half its body black. I read that 40ppm was actually preferred but I guess all 5 of the websites are wrong? And if you research it betas actually can be kept with schooling fish as they won’t single out any specific fish. I’m going to changed the fish into better fitting tanks but I can’t changed them if I’m just going to put something in my other tanks and harm my other fish.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Nitrates should be kept below 20ppm. Bettas are not community fish, they should not be kept with any fish at all. Fish send out pheromones where other species of fish read those as allomones, stressing them and leading towards tension where the betta either will be severly stressed or the other species of fish will be stressed and other peaceful will nip at his fins or he will snap out of the blue and kill all of other fish in the fish. Bettas are natural killing machines, they are used to fight other bettas and have high territorial instincts and will defend their territory from other fish. Never and ever ignore animal's needs just because they can not talk and seem to be just fine, this is human thinking. Bettas and gouramies are from the same family and both have high territory instincts and therefore, should not be kept together no matter what.
Please, listen to me and remove the betta from the tank. I'd never want you to experience yourself what I saw in my local store.

Bailey7091

AC Members
Sep 8, 2020
Nitrates should be kept below 20ppm. Bettas are not community fish, they should not be kept with any fish at all. Fish send out pheromones where other species of fish read those as allomones, stressing them and leading towards tension where the betta either will be severly stressed or the other species of fish will be stressed and other peaceful will nip at his fins or he will snap out of the blue and kill all of other fish in the fish. Bettas are natural killing machines, they are used to fight other bettas and have high territorial instincts and will defend their territory from other fish. Never and ever ignore animal's needs just because they can not talk and seem to be just fine, this is human thinking. Bettas and gouramies are from the same family and both have high territory instincts and therefore, should not be kept together no matter what.
Please, listen to me and remove the betta from the tank. I'd never want you to experience yourself what I saw in my local store.
Thank you for the advice, I don’t have another tank to put him in though. I could remove the gourami and put it with my other gourami but I’m afraid that the gourami would bring whatever it has to the other tank. I will be visiting my local bet shop to get another tank for my betta.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Thank you for the advice, I don’t have another tank to put him in though. I could remove the gourami and put it with my other gourami but I’m afraid that the gourami would bring whatever it has to the other tank. I will be visiting my local bet shop to get another tank for my betta.
Thank you :) Your betta will love you and will not be as stressed as he is now.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Some people need to cool their aggression with their advice.

Do NOT mix the gouramis.
Its not good disease wise, and not good because dwarf gouramis fight one another.

Neither situation is ideal, but leaving the gourami where he's at right now is the lesser of the two evils.

Id leave the situation as it is at the moment until the current sick gourami either recovers or passes (unfortunately I do believe this will be the sad result, at no fault to you or your efforts)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store