Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wat2Go

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
MD
Against all advice I added a Pearl so we now have a dwarf and a pearl in the tank. They get along very nicely. I figured they would sort of divide the tank (my half and yours) but they didn't, they always hang out together. They do not bother anyone and they don't get bothered.
L.

gali

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Lexington, MA
My dwarf flame died last week,after being with us for 4 months. Did great the first 3 months, then started hiding, didn't seem sick other than that.
This is the 3rd time this happened during the last year. My son loves them so I get one once in a while always with the same results. It can be something in my tank, but all other fishies are doing just fine... It's always the gouramis. I'm not sure what they had, but read that gouramis are not as tough as they used to be. I will not get more, unless I know for sure they come from a reliable source.

Luvbugz

The Suicidal Townie
Apr 18, 2007
Indiana
Before I knew better one guy at a LFS ( I don't go there anymore) swore up and down I neeed two females and one male for my 20gal high. They set up territories. One in the middle and one on each side. If they would stray into each others territory the fighting would commence. I ended up taking back two to a diff LFS and just keeping the blue female. She is def boss of my community tank. She will run off anyone that gets in her space. She even nips at my arm when I am moving stuff around in the tank.

Mark Miller

AC Members
May 15, 2007
After looking on the 'net, I somehow convinced myself that it was Okay to have two male dwarf gouramis in my newly cycled 11 gal. tank. ( I know, I should have checked here first). That didn't work out, so I returned the red neon dwarf. The little blue neon is perfectly happy now sharing his home with a handful of tetras.
A very cool little fish, active yet peaceful, very tidy. His color is amazing, especially when he reflects the yellow gravel. I notice he sleeps up in the tops of the grass.

dvd_wightman

AC Members
Dec 18, 2006
Springfield, New Jersey
I don't have any experience with them but I have that two males will not do well together unless there are twice as many females. If you do house two males together without females, they will probably not fight to the death like Bettas but the dominate one will harass the other male.

chicken2

AC Members
Feb 10, 2006
worcester, england
Here in the uk the lfs's will only sell gourami in pairs. They also they advise us that gourami's are intolerant of bad water conditions and should only be added to a well established tank.

I had in the past 2 pairs of dwarf gourami at the same time and neither caused any trouble - they seemed to stay quite happy in their own area (unfortunatley they didn't survive a severe bout of white spot)

12 months down the line I have now got a pair of lace gourami, they have been in the main tank now for some 3/4 months and behave immaculately in the community tank. The only hassle is possibly at feeding time, the male goes into a right feeding frenzy and tries to hog all the food.

EahInMass

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
Massachusetts
So what would be the best bet if I wanted to get more than one for my forty gallon community tank? I'm not looking to breed them, but was hoping for maybe three of them. Does that sound a little too far fetched? I had angels in the past and hated watching them fight all day long. I do expect some aggression from time to time but with my pairs spawning all the time I didn't find watching my tank peaceful at all! Is this the fish for me?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Gouramis can be very tricky. Lately, it seems that they are not as strong as they were before and more intolerant to iffy water conditions. In a fourty gallon tank, I would start with just one dwarf gourami and see how it goes. It will also depend on what other fish are in the tank with him.

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store