Easy plants, planning for 75 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
That is the same concern I have for my 75 gal. But yes that is the same reason I was looking at it, it was a complete kit. But cost is a factor.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
So with your help I have come up with a few plants I would love to see in my 75 gallon.

Plant name(common name):

1)
Vallisneria spiralis (jungle vale)
Category: Bare Root, Bunch (stem)
Maximum Height: Up to 24 inches
Light: Any
Temperature: 60 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit
pH: 6.0 to 8.5
Origin: Southeast Asia
Water Hardness: Any
Nutrients: Moderate
Position in aquascape: Back, sides

2)
Hygrophila Corymbosa var Compact (Compact Corymbosa)
Category: Stem Plants
Temperature: 20 - 30 C
PH: 5 - 8
Lighting: Low
Growth Rate: Slow
Difficulty: Easy
Origin:
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground
Nutrients: potassium

3)
Common Name: Dwarf Sagittaria
Proper Name: Sagittaria subulata
Category: Rosette Plants
Temperature: 22 - 28 C
PH: 5.0 - 7.5
Lighting: Medium
Growth Rate: Fast
Origin: America
Position in Aquascape: Mid-Ground,Foreground

4)
Common Name: Fissidens fontanus
Proper Name: Fissidens fontanus
Category: Ferns and Mosses
Temperature: 23 - 28 C
PH: 6.0 - 7.5
Growth Rate: Very Slow,Slow
Origin: North America

5)
Common Name: Java Moss
Proper Name: Taxiphyllum barbieri
Temperature: 18 - 30 C
PH: 5.0 - 8.0
Lighting: Very Low
Growth Rate: Very Slow
Difficulty: Very Easy
Origin: Asia

6)
Common Name: Christmass moss
Proper Name: Taxiphyllum montagnei
Temperature: 15 - 28 C
PH: 5.5-9
Growth Rate: Slow
Difficulty: Hard
Origin: Brazil
Position in Aquascape: Foreground

Does anyone see any confilct with having these in a low light 75 with or without CO2 and dosing dry ferts?

Also the light I have in mind is: http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-planted-tank/

36" long and narrow/ med 45 degree beam angle.

Side note: I cant decide which moss to use for either foreground mat or wall mat on the back wall...

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
1) Love it but I find it an "aggressive" plant! Good in that you see new growth every day but also may start intruding on other plants. LEss aggressive in low light for sure.
2) One of my favorites! Give it plenty of K (potassium) - it is truly a K hog which is not really produced much through fish waste. I would dose K once a week and if you ever see holes in the leaves, dose more K.
3) Great, tough foreground plant. I got some from a friend and it is much tougher in all conditions than dwarf hair grass or lilaeopsis
4) Never had it, would love to try some
5) very tough, grows well
6) only just got some for my medium light tank, it is growing slowly but is attractive.

None of my tanks have CO2, 2 of them also without glut dosing and low/sporadic ferts. I don't do dry ferts yet. I agree these picks are good ones.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Well I am glad to hear the plant list is on the up and up. :)

Do you or anyone else have anything to say about that light?

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
It looks like a great light, I would love to play with one of those. I heard such disparaging things about LEDs but I have a weak LED submersible (about = Marineland single bright) and at least some of my plants seem to do quite well with the light from that. Like growing really lush and pretty right next to the LED, moreso than elsewhere in the tank. And mine does not have that nice color spectrum with the 660 nm included. I don't know exactly how bright that light will be (I know it gives lumens and mmols but I also don't know how that relates to the lights and tanks/depths I have) but with those plant selections I bet you will be fine.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
It looks like a great light, I would love to play with one of those. I heard such disparaging things about LEDs but I have a weak LED submersible (about = Marineland single bright) and at least some of my plants seem to do quite well with the light from that. Like growing really lush and pretty right next to the LED, moreso than elsewhere in the tank. And mine does not have that nice color spectrum with the 660 nm included. I don't know exactly how bright that light will be (I know it gives lumens and mmols but I also don't know how that relates to the lights and tanks/depths I have) but with those plant selections I bet you will be fine.
You think its got enough PAR? Being 21" tall in all...

Also I want to thank you, you have been a big help to me recently and I appreciate it immensely.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
75W of LED light over that tank should be plenty. With this caveat: The height of the lights above the tank and the angle the lights are at, greatly affect the available light for your plants. You need to think out how you are going to install the fixture to know what angle to order the lights.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Anybody else have anything to add?

And as a update, I think I a going to use flourite sand for sub. Does it come in colors like reg. Gravel?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store