Easy unfiltered 60 gallon pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I offered to take over care of my elderly neighbor's pond after her husband passed.
I threw in a few sickly water hyacinth plants I found, and they quickly took over.
I added a few of my 4 yr old white cloud minnows for mosquito control.
I did not think they would breed, but boy was I wrong. 100s of fish now.
So far this pond is super easy. All I do is add water and someP1010944.JPG occasional fish food.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
That was so nice of you to help out the neighbor and add something nice for her to look at. About how large is that container?

Reactions: Sprinkle

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It isn't unfiltered...it just doesn't have a powered filter. Plants most definitely count as a filter. Hyacinth do an amazing job of remove wastes, plus they bloom.

I run tubs like this all summer. I don't put fish out anymore since I don't have space to deal with the fry, so now axolotls go in for biological control, and mosquito dunks for other pests. The first year, I had the vietnamese white clouds out, and there were thousands. More than I could catch, much less raise up. Great fish! Can't keep them out year round in the Poconos, but definitely possible in areas where it doesn't drop below 40. White clouds are sturdy enough to take it.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I'm hoping the white clouds in this pond can overwinter. It's in a sheltered area, open to the sky but surrouned by three walls.
Our temps here in coastal California usually stay above 40 in the winter.
Water Hyacinth does make an amazing natural filter and algae reducer, and with tiny fish, I think a pond can get by without a filter, but if this were my pond, I'd probabably spring for a sponge filter set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store