eel has a big belly (pictures)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i have an eel that has big belly. is it dropsy? what do they look like when they pregnant or have worms? how do i figure what it is? and if it's dropsy, does anybody know if maracyn-two is safe with plants?

2006_0729star0020.JPG 2006_0729star0038.JPG

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i don't know. his belly rolles around when he moves. another eel is fat, but the belly is not that big

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Looks like he is simply getting more than his share by a fair bit....not dropsy at all.

kody1192

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
not a problem...when i first got my fire eel his stomach was real flat after a couple days of blackworms his stomach got nice and fat and is always fat...unless it looks like its gonna explode it just a full stomach...btw what kinda eel is that?

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
these two eels get alone really good. the one that has strangly bloated belly is still the same as of now. the belly has a whitish tint to it. i dont know what kind of eels they are. they were sold as spiny eels. i had them for about a year, but they never realy got that big at all, so i was thinking that maye she is too young to have babies. i don't know what to think or do. i used to feed them black worms utill some sort of parasite broke out in my tank, now i feed them frozen blood worms.

HylaChristine

AC Members
Jul 21, 2006
If they havent gotten big, I would think they are zigzag eels. Do you have better pictures?

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
If your eel is acting normally I would say it had just had too much to eat. From your pictures it looks like you have a zig-zag spiney eel. I have one and it is definantly the fatty of the tank. The belly is bigger and lighter then the top. I happen to think becuase mine it so fat that it is a female because they say females will be rounder then males. It is just possible that yours is a female and is going to always be fatter then the other one.

Here is a link to a post with a video of my Zig-Zag Eel eating . Take a look at it and see if it looks like yours. Mine is darker then the one in your pictures because I have darker substrate. The color of the eel with change depending on the substrate. You can also see how the belly is lighter.(it shows up much better in person!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store