Eheim 2217 making humming noise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
Today I removed the pump cover assy of my 10 month old 2217 Eheim filter to clean/replace the upper white filter pad and to add additional filter wool. The filter has been operating since last January and It was also time to open and clean the impeller, chamber, associated parts.Minimal accumulation was evident in the impeller assy. However when reinstalling and bleeding the filter I noticed that this ultra quite pump had developed a moderate humming noise.I disassembled the pump assy again and eveything seemed to be placed correctly. I would appreciate any info regarding causes for the condition. I have just ordered a new shaft and bearing kit for this pump thinking that that would be the logical approach?

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
No- just cleaned and reassembled. Only lubed cover gasket. ceramic impeller shaft requires lube? Eheim cleaning instructions virtually non exist! This post belongs in the equipment section,Sorrry

Last edited:

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
Removed filter pump and impeller components and lubed.Still noisey. Have ordered new impeller,impeller shaft and bushings. Really appreciate your advice rainbowcharmer, Appears we are the only members with Eheim Filters

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
The issue with noise or rattles after cleaning the filter is usually due to not priming the filter properly, not assembling the components correctly or media placement/thickness.

How did you prime the filter with water after reassembling it? Do you have Q.D.'s on the input & output hoses or is it a straight run from the filter to the tank?

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
Bleeding of filter is not the issue causing the hum noise. moderate hum noise is from the impeller and shaft area. Impeller,shaft and bushings have been removed and re examined several times. I have greatly reduced the hum noises by lubing all impeller components with vaseline. I completely bleed the air by tilting the filled cannister in all directions until air noises disappear. I am an extremely competent mechanical technician and not a novice.I have ordered a new shaft/bushing set and impeller. will let you know what the result is when the new parts arrive and are installed.Dudley I appreciate the response..

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
No problem. I only made the suggestions because you stated the noise appeared after you cleaned the filter. I hope the replacement shaft & bushings will correct the problem & look forward to the solution.

I have had similar issues with my Eheim filters & can usually correct the problem by reassembling & thoroughly cleaning something I missed the first time. But I do keep spare o-rings, shafts & impellers on hand though I have never had to replace an impeller yet.

It is sometimes difficult to troubleshoot filter problems online, especially when you don't know the expertise of the person having the problem or of the person offering the advice.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
Gently shake the 2217. Air is likely to be trapped inside.

briar14

Dec 3, 2009
Salem,NH
Real Name
Ernie Paul
During the process of diagnosing the the hum noise I utilized the dual tap valve feature and only remove the top pump assy.The lines and cannister remain full and free of air ingress.This simplifies the bleeding process so the usual tilting and shaking is all that is required. Thoroughly cleaning and lubing the impeller chamber and related components has greatly silenced the hum.However not to the Eheim standard of absolute silence.Being anal and a perfectionist I was compelled to order some spare parts along with impeller and shaft/bushing kits.Will install when received and let you know the outcome.Thanks for the support.Appreciate your response.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store