Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's worthless?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
What site? I'd be interested in knowing what "they" think were hybridized to get this morph. I'm just real skeptical about the whole idea, and as I said in another post, the offspring percentages strongly suggest a recessive gene. Thinking about the hybrid idea, you need a Dempsey for the conformation, so where does the super blue come from?

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
I had mine EBJD and he died within a month.

Blues are not even close to regular Jack Dempseys in terms of toughness. I found them to be very fragile fish. Far more beautiful in my opinion, but not worth the headache.

MacFish

AC Members
Jan 24, 2006
photobucket.com
What site? I'd be interested in knowing what "they" think were hybridized to get this morph.
I remember reading this on a site somewhere too. The person said they had been to Hector Luzardo's breeding facility and saw many tanks setup with JD's together with many different types of cichlids. Becuase of that, he/she concluded that EBJD's must be a hybrid.

Who knows, maybe Mr. Luzardo was trying to produce hybrids of some sort but I think I've seen more concreate evidence proving that EBJD's are not hybrids.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
MacFish said:
I remember reading this on a site somewhere too. The person said they had been to Hector Luzardo's breeding facility and saw many tanks setup with JD's together with many different types of cichlids. Becuase of that, he/she concluded that EBJD's must be a hybrid.

Who knows, maybe Mr. Luzardo was trying to produce hybrids of some sort but I think I've seen more concreate evidence proving that EBJD's are not hybrids.
Quite a jump from dempseys with other fish to ebjds are hybrids. Hope the author didn't hurt him/herself jumping to conclusions! Sheesh, I have all kinds of fish mixed together; doesn't mean a thing! Nah, I think the evidence for recessive trait is there, and apparently there is NO evidence for the hybrid theory, based on what you wrote, so I have to consider it on par with alien invasion. :eek:

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
EBJD, like blood parrot, is not hybrid but mutants with recessive genes. This is why they are sterile if you pair the reccessive genotype for breeding, but will breed OK crossing with the normal genotype. The recessive genes make them weaker and suceptible to deseases and some may die early from birth defects developed later. Their weakness is similar to abino form that tend to be short lived and some go blind.

The first time I acquired EBJD, it died within a few months. Now I have two that have grown to 5 inches in over a year. Both of them have some deformity in the finage from birth defect. Many people have trouble keeping the earlier EBJD alive for long, but the later strains have gotten stronger.

csriram45

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
Well my 4 juvenile EBJD died. The last 2 died today.... Even though I caught the internal parasite infection early they just would not respond.... although I still would like to have EBJD... it wont be in near future....

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
csriram45 said:
Well my 4 juvenile EBJD died. The last 2 died today.... Even though I caught the internal parasite infection early they just would not respond.... although I still would like to have EBJD... it wont be in near future....

AWWWW MAN. Dude I definitely feel for you right now. That's sucks so bad. EBJDs are really cool looking and fun fish when they are healthy. The problem is keeping them healthy, just doesn't seem to work! I really thought you caught the problem before it would get too bad. Bummer. absolute bummer.

I won't be buying any EBJDs for a long time either. it's depressing!

csriram45

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
Pallen81 said:
AWWWW MAN. Dude I definitely feel for you right now. That's sucks so bad. EBJDs are really cool looking and fun fish when they are healthy. The problem is keeping them healthy, just doesn't seem to work! I really thought you caught the problem before it would get too bad. Bummer. absolute bummer.

I won't be buying any EBJDs for a long time either. it's depressing!

I still think I caught on early... but they just wont not respond... I had to make a choice on the treatment (Clout/Maracyn2/Jungle parasite clear/PraziPro) and nothing worked... dont know if maracyn2 would have worked.... I did not try that... its just depressing.... anyways... I am wiser now..... and would be following EBJDs closely...but not sure if will get them....

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Sorry you ended up losing your ebjds; I know I was devastated when I lost my first one (and second one). Imo, the best bet remains to pick one up AFTER it gets past the 3" size, but so far you don't see them being offered at that size. Maybe if we continue to see this kind of attrition, sellers will start to hold them longer so they're bigger when sold. Even if they cost a little more that way, it seems as if that would be preferable to people being scared away from them.

With all the interest, I kept thinking that they'd eventually become fairly common, but this systematic weakness they seem to have makes me wonder if they will EVER really become common in the hobby!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store