Elephant nose intelligence

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Here is something I got from the internet:

A VERY good article discussing mass/brain size
http://biologi.uio.no/genfys/PDFfiler/GN/JEB199,603.pdf

"Since mormyrids seem to be successful fishes, making up some 10 % of the African species of freshwater fish (Roberts, 1975), and are abundant
enough to be of local commercial importance (Petr, 1968), it is
relevant to ask what advantageous abilities are provided by this
exceptionally costly brain. It is likely that these abilities not only
include electroreception, a highly effective means of orientation
and communication in turbid waters, but also social
communication, which appears to be well developed in
mormyrids." from the aBOVE article

Laymens definations of the above:
http://psychicinvestigator.com/demo/fish.htm
http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Jun/msg00573.html

Here is a Link on describing how to "listen" to them:
http://www.scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/biology/electric_fish/electric_fish.html

So the elephant nose brain is larger then that of humans. They are the Only living organisms that have a larger brain then us. A Very interesting fact, I might add.

I found many opinions on the usenets stating they are a VERY intelligent fish, but no scientific article linking them with their intelligence level. Are they more intelligent then any other aquarium fish? IMO, Yes, they are. I have one in my tank and I am constantly amused at its antics with the other fish. When you have the time, READ the first article. A VERY interesting reading!

Let me also add they live 25+ years!!!!

Last edited:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
My mother has a silver dolphin mormyrid, and I agree whole-heartedly that they are just about the smartest animal I've ever seen....This fish recognizes its owner, to the point that when my mother has to put her hands in the tank (to rebury plants, remove dead leaves, etc.) the fish comes over to her to be petted. I tried it, and the fish ignored me, but didn't run away or anything....

The only problem I have with this species is that they refuse to breed in captivity and therefore all of them are collected from the wild. I would say that their intelligence has something to do with their refusal to mate (i.e., the water conditions are never exactly perfect, and they seem to know that the "tiny little lake" they are living in would never support a brood...) Also, people buy these animals from the pet store without being informed that they are not like a bottom feeder and need a carnivorous diet. This lack of information is not from lack of asking, the pet stores just don't know this unless they have done the research on the species (and how many lfs's that you know of research the fish before they order and then tell all of their employees the requirements of every fish in the store?....didn't think so...). I had to tell our lfs owner why his baby-whales were dying (as opposed to the other way around...).

They're not an easy species to keep, but the rewards are rich when you know just how smart these guys are....hell, I've had dogs and cats that weren't as smart or friendly.....

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Are you serious? There is no way you can compare an oscar to an elephant nose...Its like comparing Einstein to a person with an IQ of 75 or less.... Just cant be done

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
This is coming from jamison, someone who has repeatedly bashed oscars and has never owned one. There ARE stories of owner responsive oscars.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I never said oscars are bad fish. Some of them are a truly Magnificient FISH. I heard stories that they will come up and let you pet them.. But most people keep them in small tanks, so that can be a problem. BUT this is not a discussion on oscars. Its about Elephant noses.

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
If it's a discussion on elephant noses, then why did you bother talking about oscars???

I know of people with oscars in lage amazonia style setups, and they're jsut as tame as they are in smaller tanks.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I never brought Oscars up. JacksonKobe did...

edit:

Good point Matt. I did reply. I shouldnt have. Without a response...well.. you do the math.

Last edited:

undertow

Factory sealed for your protection
Dec 4, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
Visit site
:) Wow! I had no idea they are that intelligent! My next door neighbour owns a common Elephant Nose, and he already had some inclanation about its intelligence. But I have a feeling he'll be pleasantly surprised.

When you listen to the electric pulses from this fish, it sorta sounds like a dolphin or whale. This is how they communicate as well, correct?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store