Emersed growing questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
this message was sent using the pony express.
LOL the internet is supposed to make our communication faster... Guess not all the time. We'll call it the "human element" (as slow as monkeys trying to evolve. Why are they still around anyway?)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Zorronet, your thinking of me as a rabbit. I assure you a snail would be a better comparison.

I have yet to even finalize my hard scape, so I have yet to buy the other half of my substrate and have yet to decide on DIY Co2 or not. Stocking has not been finalized either, Byron is too blame there, LOL.

This message will self destruct in...1...2...3...

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
Well I have found some pretty fast bladder snails in my grow out tank if you need some to show you the ropes. :) Actually that's a point for another thread because they are definitely not pond snails OR what I thought were pond snails aren't pond snails. They are notably darker colored and faster. I'll send you some for inspiration if you like LOL!

For carpet fast call 1-800-588-2300

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
LOL! I took your poking as motivation last night. It has all been decided now, well minus fauna. I will make a build thread with pic when I pur it together, probably in a week or so.

I am having issues reading German, so I can order marsilea hirusuta...only one site knowingly sells the correct species. Well that I have found anyways.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
LOL! I took your poking as motivation last night. It has all been decided now, well minus fauna. I will make a build thread with pic when I pur it together, probably in a week or so.

I am having issues reading German, so I can order marsilea hirusuta...only one site knowingly sells the correct species. Well that I have found anyways.

Really? I found it in a bunch of places online. It's bound to look different depending on how it's grown and the light level it's grown under. You are planning on growing it emersed, but I have read that you should cut off the emersed growth after you submerge it, and it will grow into a low carpet. I'd believe that given my experience with another carpet plant, glossostigma.

I have glossostigma that is the same... It was sent to me looking ROUGH! It was grown under low light and it was tall and stringy. I floated it to let it sprout out and it grew in lush and full. I planted some trimmings from the same plant under medium light, and it came up in a miniature form of the tall lanky version. Then I cut some down to the substrate in a high light tank, and it came back with little tiny round leaves and spread out wide. It's crazy how so many factors come into play with some plants.

P. S. Sounds like you are stalling ;)

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Really? I found it in a bunch of places online. It's bound to look different depending on how it's grown and the light level it's grown under. You are planning on growing it emersed, but I have read that you should cut off the emersed growth after you submerge it, and it will grow into a low carpet. I'd believe that given my experience with another carpet plant, glossostigma.

P. S. Sounds like you are stalling ;)

If you could drop me a PM with those links, I would appreciate that. I have to ask though, am I missing something??? Is there another "common name" that it goes by? I have found a few varieties of the fern family Clovers (I believe there are 66 species), but only a few very clearly labeled marsilea hirsuta.

I do have some questions about lighting since you brought it up. I planned to use the same lights I have on my 30 Breeder tank, clamp lamps with 6500k Micro CFL, I have yet to decide how many...I know rams like lower light...I plan to add frog bit to help break the light up for them too. But I found a thread or link for some lights...got me thinking about ordering one...if only I could remember the what, when, where. on them.
Anyways my question is would my current lighting be enough? I have read repeatedly that they are "low" light plants, but recently found a post stating the same thing you said about the glosso...
I am curious if just stepping up the watts would be enough so I could use what I already have. (For a 20L tank just to refresh memory.)

And to get back on topic, I have read that people have had success emerse growing clover, and I just recently learned exactly what you said, oliver knott cut his before planting them and filling the tank. Some other poster said that his/ her clover was not growing or doing very well in the first 3 weeks, but after cutting them down to the ribosomes they took off nicely. So I plan to let it fill in as much as possible, then trim and fill the tank.

I have one other small issues. Aquascape...I am having issues deciding which layout I like with the new driftwood and the old rocks. I am starting to think I need one more plant too, but the issue is finding something that is going to add to the tank but not run rampant with decent conditions. Anubias barteri var. nana ‘Petite’ comes to mind though...I will be using whatever i choose to dress up the driftwood some.

Oh and a awesome thing happened the other day at the in-laws! I know something awesome at the in-laws?! that doesn't happen for most people when it concerns mother in laws, LOL. Anyways I knowticed that her landscaping has the same color rocks I plan to use, but in way smaller sizes. So needless to say I plan on getting some and using it.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I am not a fluorescent light user at all aside from CFLs in clamp lights just like you. I prefer my DIY LED lighting, but I have had success with both. I also have never kept rams, so there is my disclaimer.

My fear is that we may not know enough about this "low light carpet plant". Here's what I know about aquatic stem plants... Higher light almost always triggers smaller and more detailed leaves. Larger, broader leaves are more typical of low light plants like Java fern and anubias. It makes sense... They have a larger surface that can catch the available light because there is less to capture in their environment. In a high light (really high PAR) environment, leaves can be smaller and more plentiful staying low to the ground. They don't have to be wide or get tall to reach for the light because it's more readily available. So, they spread out wide and low forming a carpet rather than a tall forest. Some of it is purely genetics, and some of it is reactive to its environment.

Glossostigma in a low light environment grows up rather than out. I know that for sure. What I don't know is if Marsilea hirsuta reacts the same way. It is a fern, so it might not. Most ferns are fine in low light, though they are also typically slow growers in that condition. What happens if you increase the light on Marsilea hirsuta? I don't know... I know I have some bolbitis heteroclita that does very well in the high light tank in comparison to a lower light tank. It is a notoriously slow growing fern.

The real problem is that you are basing lighting on fish first rather than plants first and fish second. It might be smarter to base fish on the tank after figuring out the plants and lights first. Again, I have never kept rams, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but no amount of frogbit has lowered the light that gets through on my tanks all that much. I have a tank full of dwarf sag and Vals growing vigorously beneath a blanket amount of frogbit right now. Especially in a short tank like a 20L, I think you will have a similar result. If you really want the rams, you might need to rethink your scape and plants. (Sorry to be that messenger!)

Back to the in-laws...
My MIL gave me driftwood from her old hermit crab tanks... Sounds like yours might be just as cool as mine ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store