Emersed growing questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
ZorroNet-

I love the fact that you are one step a head of my readings, LOL. I just found an excellent post where people where discussing what "low to high" light will cause the clover to do. It is just like the glossostigma, in fact exactly how you described your experience is what they said as well. I guess the question I should be asking or looking for an answer to is what is med/ high light on a 20 long? Speaking in micro CFL or AHsupply product would be nice. LMAO but we can all dream...I understand quite a bit about lighting and how photosynthetically active radiation or PAR is the preferred method to determine sufficient lighting, but without a PAR meter and/ or a good list of tank sizes and the correctly corresponding bulbs for said "low, med, high" lighting, its impossible to know these things. I think my biggest issues is connecting the dots and having what I do know come full forwishen.

See the real issue is how to strike a balance between what is best for the plants and the fish. I am adding familiar dither fish and driftwood, as well as a soft substrate to try and accommodate the fish. I have a nutrient filled substrate for the plants and i am trying to work the lights so they are enough to see slower, but not too slow, growth. I above all else am basing this tank on the fishes needs, all the plants have been checked against the fishes water/ tank requirements to ensure compatibility.

BOO I say, I will not let you be the messenger of ill news on this day my good sir. LOL.

Yeah that old battle axe....err... I mean my mother in law is really a sweet lady, she has done more for me than my own family in many cases... even if she told her daughter 12 years ago she didn't want us to date, HA! I showed her, and I got the wedding ring to prove it.

Zorro, do you think other members know it is in fact ok that they post here too?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im reading along ! Im just basking in the info and learning from this thread because i dont have any tanks or plants that grow out rather than up... Such as glosso or clovers. I understand what you mean about trying to find a balance between the lighting that your fish will do best in and the lighting youd like though. Im planning a 20L for either a harem or breeding pair of apistos and they like dim lighting so obviously i need to adjust the plants to the needs of the fish.

Maybe you can find a way to keep the tank half low light and half high light. That way you get the best of both worlds. It would be a difficult task to find the proper balance of light, ferts, and possibly CO2 where algae wont be an issue but if you manage to pull it off it can prove to be a stunning tank. Maybe keep the higher demanding plants higher in the water column to get tye desired growth. Just throwing some ideas that i was thinking of using in my own setup.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Ktrom,
Glad to see you! I found the info I was looking for last night. CFL's will be enough from my readings. The ones I currently have produce 40-60 PAR in the current setup, 13w dome reflector, and if I add a few watts I can get it to medium light no problem. And one other bonus is the light from these is rather focused compared to say a T5 style bulb. Another thing I can do is keep my lights on a lower light schedule, like say 12hrs for a few lower power bulbs, and run the high power ones for 6-8hrs. According to my readings people seem to agree with phasing the brightness in and out. So if I set my bulbs vertically in dome reflectors on the glass top, they will affectively be 13-14 inches from the bottom of the tank, with substrate more like 9-11 inches, which should put me in to the medium/ almost high light with this setup since the tank is sooo short, just like my 30 gallon breeder is. The bonus will be I am using a better substrate this time.

ZorroNet, look at me go! Answering my own questions, ha! Funny thing is I know for a fact I have read some of the same articles before...they must have clicked better this time or stuck and I just had to knock the dust off I guess.

This message will self destruct in...1...2...3...

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
For my setup i have a dual bulb T5HO lighting fixture that i can run just one light or both. Im going to have it hanging about 6inches above the tank( so about 18 inches from the bottom of the tank and about 16-17 inches from the substrate). This way i can grow medium light plants if i want to. Im just going to use mostly anubias, maybe some ferns, maybe a crypt or two, and frogbit because these can be easily grown it dim lighting situations.

I havent dug into PAR because i already have a feel for what lights ill need to grow what plants. But from what i read and hopefully understand correctly it isnt so much about the PAR you use but the PUR. PAR is based on active radiation and PUR is based on useful radiation so, in theory, wouldnt it be PUR we worry about and not PAR? Again this is if i remember correctly.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
That was brought up between hoppy and 4x4 on another forum. I didn't read into it much, but I gathered that if you meet certain par numbers, pur falls in line. IDK for sure though.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Im guessing that if the PAR is high enough the PUR will be sufficent enough for plants. Im not exactly sure how it all works out but i do know that the lights you have should be good enough for plants to grow.

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
I agree... PAR and PUR are scientifically sound principles. Honestly I think they are someone's way to get people off of WPG (which is currently useless due to advances in technology and use of DIFFERENT technology.) I kid... about it being a ploy. It's easy to tell whether you have it right or not. If the plants are growing in the forms you expect, they have enough light for that form. If they aren't, something is wrong. That's why I prefer DIY lighting to out of the box solutions. You can bump it up or even decrease it how and when you like. I have brooder box reflectors (for chickens) and I move them around to different areas of the tank all the time just to see what works best. When you have T5HOs right down the middle at all times, you have to change the scape to work with the lighting. I take more of a stage tech approach and just move the lights instead of the plants. Numbers don't matter if it's working and you've got STYLE! :)

BTW a piece of gift wrap tissue paper will diffuse light very well in an area if you want to try it out. Just put it on the glass top between the light and the tank. It gives it a glow and doesn't totally block the light. Also it's very cheap. Did I mention I'm cheap? :)

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Zorro, did you see my shiney new thread? I have yet to add pics, been kinda busy.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Zorro its funny you mention that. Before i add plants i put tye lights over the tank to see where the best spot is for each plant. Right now its working good but i might try a DIY approach if i do a tank focused more on plants.

Fish_Bone im gonna go look at your new thread soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store