Euthanise sick black moor - please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rowinaboat

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2017
Hi there,

I'm devastated to be posting this, especially as my first post on this site, but I really need some advice.
My black moor has been really suffering for almost a week now - it turns out the test kit I was using was inaccurate (strips, rookie mistake) and I didn't catch a big nitrate spike until it was too late. I've managed to get all the levels back under control now (after a few days) so the water quality is good but I'm worried it's too late. He's floating near the bottom of the tank one side up, still swims about a little if I put my hand in/water change etc but otherwise is very listless and just seems to be suffering really badly.
I've had him for four years and I desperately don't want to lose him but I don't want to leave him suffering unnecessarily if he can't recover from what I would assume is nitrate poisoning. His gill colour and stomach are fine, no signs of redness, and no spiking on the scales or clamping of fins.
He is on his own in a 64 litre planted tank with waterfall filter. He moved to this tank two years ago and hasn't had any issues apart from one swim bladder problem six months ago which was resolved by fasting and peas.
So basically I'd like some advice on what you guys think I should do now. Is it best to wait and see now the levels have been fixed (over 24 hours good levels) or is he past the point of recovery? The other thing I thought is that he might now be suffering from a swim bladder issue again with the stress and previous water quality, so I could begin to treat this if it's worth it?
It would break my heart to lose him, it's been such a terrible few days. But as I say I don't want him to spend any more time suffering if he's not coming back from it.
Thank you so much in advance.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think its really best to wait and see. Increase water changes, the more fresh water you put in the faster he'll recover. Aquarium salt can also help to recover from the damage from bad water. If you have an air pump I would use it to increase the oxygen, or since you have a HOB filter, you could lower the water level to get a little bit of splash and this will help to increase the oxygen levels in the tank.

Reactions: Rowinaboat

Rowinaboat

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2017
Thaks so much for your reply Tifftastic, will up changes and have raised the filter. Fingers crossed for the next few days ); x

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store