euthanization of fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
also, you risk wiping out the entire pond or lake, due to the disease in the freed fish, which other wild fish have no immune to.

OrandaRookie

It's not just orandas now
May 21, 2007
UK
I've put down one of my fish using clove oil. I put him in a large jug and added the oil drop by drop. He gradually went to sleep and eventually his gills stopped moving altogether. I left him in there all day so he overdosed. I put him in some fresh water afterwards and he never recovered so it was safe to dispose of him. I think clove oil is the most humane way of doing it as its painless and they drift off to sleep fairly quickly. However if they're not in long enough they can recover so make sure you overdose your fish

Jun 25, 2007
i agree, just flush it and be done with it. i think too much time is wasted worried bout how the fish feels! dead is dead, one way or the other.
The question isn't what to do with the body after the fish is dead. Tossing a live fish into a city sewer system is inhumane IMHO.

Boocho

AC Members
May 17, 2007
I just put some crushed ice in small bowl of water, about half and half, put the fish in, it will give a couple of tail flicks then die quite peacefully. This seems to be a very painless way for both me and the fish, haven't had to do it too often thank goodness.
I found this method to be effective as well.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
i prefer the old toilet method, works for everything but catfish...thats a two flusher
i agree, just flush it and be done with it. i think too much time is wasted worried bout how the fish feels! dead is dead, one way or the other.
You two with Thinair better read up on euthanasia articles.:rolleyes: The point is to end up the fish's misery as humanely as possible and as quick as possible. I wonder if you failed to imagine how it feels to get soaked up in various stench in the sewer.:screwy: The fish suffers a lot before it dies.

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
what would you guys consider grounds for euthanizing a fish?
People nowdays are so quick to euthanize their fish - it swimmed funny...it didnt eat for a day....it didnt have a perfect fin...

Even the responses to this thread proved that, why not just come out and say it - i am going to kill my fish because it's not perfect or the way i want it to be. Using the fancy word euthanize doesnt make it any less than killing the fish.

And how did you know the fish want to be die? did it tell you that? Most fish have the potential to live for a long time even after becoming sick as long as it's properly cared for.

Dont get me wrong, a fish is a fish, if you want to kill it that's fine. Just dont hide behind the "i want to euthanize" bs to somehow justify killing your pet because it's not perfect the way you want it, or you are too lazy to take care of the sick fish.

The only time i euthanize a fish is when i can positively identify the disease the fish has, and that there is no cure.

--------

The best way to kill the fish is with clover oil as suggested. if you dont have that, then freeze a bowl of water (WITHOUT THE FISH IN IT) just so the top turns to thin ice, then put the fish in it, its heart will fail within secs due to temperature shock (only works on tropical not coldwater fish obviously).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store