Everybody's breeding bristle nose plecos!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Has anyone else noticed this trend? I keep seeing them all over the place all of a sudden. Craigslist, fish groups, classifieds, whatever. If you breed them, I'm wondering why?

Are they the latest trend in fish keeping?

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I only have one, so I'm not breeding, but they are a very nice fish to have. They are also a fairly easy fish to breed as far as pleco's go.

Emily

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
I love my bn plecos. I didn't even know I had a male and female before they bred. I just got an albino and a black pleco from the lfs and then one day I saw babies everywhere. I didn't even have a cave for them! They just used a hole in some porous rock I have.
So I guess its because they are awesome fish that are pretty cheap and readily available at most lfs and chain stores. And in my experience very easy to breed.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
They are a curious breed. Surprisingly, for such a secretive fish, they have obvious personalities, they live longer than a lot of fish, and they live and let live as long as thier territory is not encroached.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It'd be nice to think that the word is getting out about the unsuitability of common Plecos to most tanks.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
It'd be nice to think that the word is getting out about the unsuitability of common Plecos to most tanks.
YES! I couldn't agree more. It seems a lot of people on Craigslist think they'll strike it rich by buying fry of large fish and then raising them up to size and then trying to sell them off at retail price. Then I see them re-posting again and again and slowly, they seem to learn that homes for big fish are few and far between and are probably willing to just give the fish away at that point.

I have one bristle nose pleco and I don't see him much. I can't really attest to personality. Maybe if I got another, it wouldn't hide so much? I have a lot of cover in my tanks.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
It actually runs in spurts. Seems like everyone is in to breeding them and then all of a sudden, no one has any. Seems to be that way with many different species of fish and inverts.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Lots of bn breeders here now. The chains got them in and people are getting 2-3 for a tank and are surprised when they have a massive overload of fry.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Maybe I shouldn't get 2 then. I don't really want to have bunches of babies. Are they happier in groups though?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store