Exploding CO2 canisters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigscout

AC Members
Aug 11, 2006
State of Dissapointment
I prefer the DIY method. It isn't pressurised at all. It's cheap. And,..uhh, it's cheap. I have also heard that it often does a better job than expensive pressurised systems. Works fine for me anyhow.
Having done both with small and large tanks, I can say I feel the opposite. DIY is horribly inconsistant even with 10 bottles hooked together and rotated for refill, and The money I spent on Sugar and yeast would have quickly paid for all the co2 eqipment I now own. I will say I did not run out and buy a high dollar set-up from the LFS, but rather gathered and matched less expensive components. The only thing I bought at a high price was my manifold, and it was worth every penny since I'm running three tanks from one bottle. I currently have a 20 pound bottle running, but recently aquired a 40 lb to replace it with. with a 115g, a 15g, and a 10g. I use 20 pounds in about 9 months and maintain Co2 somewhere between 50 and 75 ppm in all three tanks. I simply could not do that even in the 10g with the DIY.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
Pressurized CO2 is heads and shoulders better than the yeast method. You get consistent CO2 output with no fluctuations (unless you have a leak somewhere) unlike the yeast method which fizzles towards the end. You also have complete control of the amount of CO2 going into the tank unlike the yeast method.

Over the long run (we're talking years) a pressurized Co2 system may be more cost effective than the yeast method, considering the amount of sugar you'd go through to have comparable results to pressurized.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Yeah, I think DIY has very little advantage over pressurized... besides the long term potential cost savings, the thing that really convinced me was the hassle factor. I am simply to lazy to keep up with the DIY co2. With the pressurised setup, you basically set it and forget it. IMHO the main advantage of DIY is that it is much cheaper upfront so you can get into it fairly easy. Definately a good way to start out, especially if you arent sure what your getting into or if you dont know if you want to keep plant tank for a long time. I think a larger tank pretty much demands the use of pressurized co2.

Bigscout, were did you get this nice manifold? I have been toying with the idea of running multiple co2 tanks and that would make it a bit cheaper, well depending on how much the manifold is of course.

aquanewb

Trying to keep my head above water
Dec 2, 2004
NYC
Dont worry too much about it. Think about all the people that run around with CO2 tanks while playing paintball. I have a 5lb CO2 tank on my 72gallon tank and I would have to try VERY hard to knock the stem off of it. (like smash it with a sledge hammer).

That said.... IMHO pressurized CO2 is the best thing I have added to my tank since fish.

dorris

Replicator of Amazon streams
Aug 31, 2006
Tasmania, Australia.
tropical-fish-care.com
Real Name
Luke
Yeh I suppose looking at it from a larger tank perspective and the consistancy it would work out better. I will no doubt have to look into it soon enough as I am just about to setup my new tank which is over twice the size of my old planted tank. I'll see how I go with yeast to start with but I'm sure I'll end up swapping in a few months. I do know though that my plants seem to grow faster than I really like atm in my current tank. I Nearly get sick of trimming back some of my palnts they are like weeds. I think I will get rid of the weedy plants and start growing more nicer slower growing plants.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I am currently looking at the paintball co2 system..figure a 20 oz bottle will last awhile and can get filed at the local paintball field.

the paintball bottle use a 'burst disc' to prevent the bottle reaching pressure capable of causing the bottle to explode.
the system is designed to burst with little outlets(we valled them jets) to spin the bottle.

fyi, do not leave a freshly chareged paintball bottle out on the sun.

it ain't pretty when it goes and it gets ugly if you try to pick up the bottle.(saw this happen once)

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
Your CO2 tank will not explode
Keep it standing up....the end
You are more likely to get struck by lightening

chkthisoutt

AC Members
Jun 25, 2006
Not to be taken too lightly. I read of a guy who took his CO2 cylinder for a refill. On the way back he placed it on his backseat. Apparantly due to the high temperature inside his car some kind of seal on the tank broke. The escaping CO2 fumes were so dense he could not see though it. Luckily he had just exited the freeway and was on a side street. This and other interesting CO2 cylinder stories can be found on a forum called The Krib. A cylinder compressed with gas can turn into a pretty decent missile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store