Fairwell discus :( good riddance CAE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
...and the euthanasia options

If you don't like the topic, then don't read the post

Ryan:
I have always used the hammer and paper towel method myself. One time, having forgot my mallet, I had to use the reel on my fishing rod to kill a trout. When I had to kill my guppies one by one, when the disease spread through the 10 gal, I was getting sick of going to the garage to find my mallet and instead, just when to the bathroom and used the hell of my hand on the counter. On such a small fish, the accuracy was much better. Though I didn't enjoy it, I knew it was better because these fish were dying very slowly.

Anyways, after this head bashing (can't think of a nicer way to put it) I was on here and read an argument about how the freezing was the most humane. But now I don't really like the idea of it, reading about the convustions.

All:

Anyway. I just had another thought. About the feeding. I have alot of omnivores in my tanks. Can I take these algae eaters, chop them up fine, or put them in a blender, and freeze them making my own frozen food? I mean, if I have to kill them I like the thought of putting them to good use. Any thoughts?

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
fish that arent totaly dead at the store, we are told to put them in a bag and wack them against the table or wall, just kidding they tell us to use baking soda

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
My dad grew up in my grandfather's slaughter house, I first went in when I was 6. But I really don't see what the vegetarian/non vegetarian/animal rights spat has to do with this. I wouldn't mind, if my questions were answered instead of being turned in to an arguement about people's food preferences and the way in which said food is prepared. There are numerous political debate forums on the internet, and I may be out of line with this, but can't that kind of thing be started elsewhere?
Sorry if I offend. I try not to.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Hans
fish that arent totaly dead at the store, we are told to put them in a bag and wack them against the table or wall, ....
Always wondered about those strange spots on the walls at the local Pet S. .............. ;) :D

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
you know what the best thing to do with dying fish is? feed them to big fish. native americans belive that as long as a body is eaten, the soul lives on. so its fine to kill stuff, as long as you eat it.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
Why must people feign knowledge of Native American beliefs when making a point like this? They're not all one group, for one thing- I don't want to get in a discussion on this in this thread but it's disrespectful.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I personally think that it is quite funny about people debating the most painless way to kill a fish. It shows how far removed humanity is growing from nature.

I grew up in the backwoods and spent a lot of time observing nature and humans are the only animals concerned with this idea. Cats will torment a small animal for hours, wounding and harassing it for entertainment, then, when it gets bored, it will kill the animal and not even eat it.

Why cats are so "inhumane" aren't they?

The whole problem is that humans have an ENORMOUS self importance of themselves as an individual. Humans operate mainly on the goal to keep their personal self alive. Animals operate mainly on the goal to keep their species, not themselves, alive.

Pain is a fact of life, get over it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store