Fairwell discus :( good riddance CAE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
So basically what you're saying is that since, "Humans operate mainly on the goal to keep their personal self alive," and that, "Pain is a fact of life, get over it," humans shouldn't care about inflicting pain on others since it is just nature? Well, I'm sure that if someone is ever in a hurry to get somewhere, and you happen to walk in front of them and get hit by their car because they don't feel like stopping, you'll remember that you said, "pain is a fact of life," and won't care that you got hit. This is seriously one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read, and I try not to trash people on here when possible. I, too, have spent a lot of time in the outdoors. I have killed fish, deer, squirrels, dove, and rabbits to eat, something I doubt many people that post here have done. However, I have never tried to kill something without trying to do it as swiftly as possible. Just because you choose to end the life of something doesn't mean you should do it while causing unnecessary pain.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
So basically what you're saying is that since, "Humans operate mainly on the goal to keep their personal self alive," and that, "Pain is a fact of life, get over it," humans shouldn't care about inflicting pain on others since it is just nature? Well, I'm sure that if someone is ever in a hurry to get somewhere, and you happen to walk in front of them and get hit by their car because they don't feel like stopping, you'll remember that you said, "pain is a fact of life," and won't care that you got hit.
Yes, if my stupid *** walks across a road without looking and someone runs me over, then it is my fault and no one elses. I would deal with the consequences of death or serious rehabilitation because I was an idiot.

It is my ultimate responsibility, and no one else's, to protect myself. If I fail in this responsibility then no one else is to blame or to be held accountable. So go ahead and sue walmart because you slipped on a wet floor in their store, sue McDonalds because you spilled hot coffee you bought from them onto your lap, etc., etc.

Nothing is our fault if we get hurt is it? Of course not, it HAS to be someone else's fault that we got hurt. Someone else is always to blame.

THAT is ignorant.

I do not agree with anyone tormenting an animal, but being over concerned with the most painless way to end it's life is a human obsession and slightly neurotic.

Last edited:

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
You are right in that people are far removed from nature- and worrying over the best way to euthanise a fish may be a symptom of that - but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I don't mind being removed from nature- I like wearing clothes and living in a building and cooking my food. Obviously you can't protect your fish from all pain, but I don't think that wanting to dispose of them humanely if need be is neurotic. This is probably corny, but I think that fishkeeping since fishkeeping puts you in control of those animals' well being, you have a responsability to treat them well through their entire lives, and sometimes euthanasia is part of that. If you don't want to do it that is your choice, but I don't see why you should feel the need to criticise someone who does. As far as people whining and blaming someone else when they make a mistake- I totally agree with you there, but I'm not sure that has a lot to do with the issue here.
And Hans- If you're going to make a pointless comeback, why bother? The original statement was pointless enough.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Ash,

I understand and agree with what you are saying. Once I spent $30 to have a $1 rat "put to sleep". I am not a cruel person and I love animals. I always take good care of all my pets and love them. But people worrying over whether it is less painful to freeze a fish or to cut its head off is ridiculous in my opinion.

Vaheelsfan calling me "ignorant" because of this statement makes no sense. What am I ignorant about? It's like someone sitting beside him when he goes hunting saying, "Don't shoot it, it'll hurt too much. Tranquilize it with a dart, then kill it after it's unconsious." Then someone else saying, "No, the dart hurts too much. Sneek up on the deer while it's sleeping and put chloriform over it's nose and then kill it."

My statement about people sueing other people because of their own mistakes was in response to him talking about the possibility of me being run over, nothing else.

Last edited:

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I see your point- and it wasn't my intention to imply that you are ignorant or cruel by any means I was just discussing. :) (glad I'm not the only one who takes rats to the vet- I don't have any now but I kept them for years. They're just charming aren't they?)

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
i burn ants with maginfying glasses, fish with a spear, bite wild cats, and shoot ducks in the butt, but i have never seen a fish cry or an ant for the matter you know its because we have big brains and big butts, ducks done have any buttox. you know what, its like baking! every time i come around its like thse people are dramatazation of the highest! its like i think fish have a small brain the size of a pea so they cant feal pain. do you thikn fish like cereal? not yogart for sure. native americans dont even say sorry to the animals they kill and bite their legs. like swans getting hit with rocks.

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
"It is my ultimate responsibility, and no one else's, to protect myself." And whose responsibility is it to protect the fish they bought? Killing it may not be protecting it, but killing it humanely makes more sense than just flushing it down the toilet or tossing it into the trash and letting it die that way. I never said people are not responsible for their actions. As far as killing deer with chloroform? If it was possible, why not? Why didn't you just cut your rat's head off? I mean, that's how they killed people for hundreds of years, so I'm sure it would work on a rat. If it hurt, who cares? Pain is a part of life, right?

Hans - How about sharing some of the good stuff?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store