False positive? Ridiculous ammonia readings!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
On ammonia 1 bottle it says "lot 83A1211 EXP 12-2016". Bottle 2 reads "lot 84B1111 EXP 11/2016". There is a black stamp on the box that reads "EXP 11/2016". Is it possible I have been duped? I see no lot numbers anywhere on the box, and I bought this at Petsmart.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
With API test kits, each individual liquid test has it's own manufacture date printed on it. I've never seen one with an expiration date, and I have some from just a few months before that your lots manufacture date.

API could have changed things since I bought my last kit though. I doubt you were duped by Petsmart, but something does seem rather odd.

Mgamer20o0 posted this in a thread back about the time of their manufacture in 2011. I saw the same thing quoted on another site earlier today, and it was claimed to have come straight from an API rep. Another has the same info (written differently) and came from Gary Jones, corporate and scientific affairs manager for Mars Fishcare:

....each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on
the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of

Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years.

Nitrite and KH will last for four years.

Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years.
According to this, a bottle of Ammonia test, lot 83A1211, would expire in December of 2014. So it should still be good, but if it says it expires in 2016, that certainly is weird. I'd contact API and see if they've changed anything recently.

Last edited:

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
I want to just change everything at this point. I've read more positive things about Prime than anything else. I want to stop using chemicals like ammo lock, because I feel I'm wasting money and not helping my fish. I am going to continue water changes with aquasafe (20%) for at least the next day or two. Would it be safe to start using Prime immediately a day after? I will be doing 20% everyday until this is fixed.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Prime won't react badly with what I am using (safestart)? If not, as soon as I can get my hands on this stuff, I'm switching. And I'm buying their test kit!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Prime can be used up to 5x recommended dose. Yes you can use it as soon as you get it.

Since Aquasasfe neutralizes ammonia, I would bet on a false positive. Even with Prime and API Liquid kit you may still show trace ammonia. Ammonia is converted to ammonium and plants can uptake that. It's not like your ammonia completely disappears. Prime will also bind most heavy metals present in water and can help reduce nitrites and nitrates. Don't remember if its just one of them or both. Seachem also makes a water conditioner separate from Prime. I have used that when I had ill fish. I trust Seachem more than I trust Tetra products.

shloken38

AC Members
Apr 24, 2012
Excuse and everyone else.....thanks for the info and please keep it coming. I do not consider myself a pro by any means, but I read info about aquarium on a DAILY basis! There are many different takes out there, and I only use advise that is most consistent. I am starting to believe that the best thing to test for is N3 and N3 only. I could be wrong.....but everything points to this. I am angry that I may have killed off BB somehow during the change, but I am more angry about the fact that I know for sure I am not getting an accurate "ammonia" reading. It makes no sense to me that I get this ridiculous reading, and my tetras are schooling as though nothing is going on. I pick up close to nothing when I vacuum, and my plants are thriving. I have no choice but to question the test kits that I am using....along with the conditioner for my tap water. I could be totally off base with this, but I will continue my water changes until this is corrected. Please keep your thoughts coming......I absolutely appreciate the feedback. I will respond tomorrow with updates!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
N3 = ?

NO3 is nitrate. NH3 is ammonia.

Make sure you are always following the test directions exactly as worded. I don't believe for a second that 8.0 ammonia, ammonium or any combination of the two is in the tank as your fish would surely be dead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store