Fantail Goldfish Tank Size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
I've been looking all over the place, and it seems nobody can really give a straight answer for what tank size fantail goldfish need. Some say 10 gallons, some 20, some say 30 or more, and still others say 40 gallons.

Does anybody know?

Thanks!

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Cool, thank you!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
In my opinion, 2 fancy/fantail goldfish (by themselves) will do well in a 29g.

I would use minimal decor, a finer substrate that allows them to sift through it and and a large HOB filter on it like an aquaclear 110.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Excellent! Thanks for your recommendation, man! There are so many conflicting answers out there in this hobby, you know?

I don't know. That "injaf" site seemed kinda... over the top, in my opinion. I mean, honestly, putting down a series of "recommended forums" that you approve of and line up with your views sounds a little unreliable, in my opinion. It kind of seems like the site is full of little things to scare you into getting a bigger tank. Not that that's bad, but opinion isn't always fact.

But, there are people on all parts of the spectrum, I suppose.

Thanks again!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm not saying a 29gal is the best home for a pair of fancys, It's just my opinion that this is the minimum to make it doable with good care. People freak out at "minimums" and I get that. Just trying to be realistic.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Yeah, of course. I was just making note of how incredibly different people's opinions can be in this hobby, especially with widely kept species like goldfish. I dunno.

But yes, it's not quite ideal, I wouldn't say, but doable.

Thank you again!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I don't know. That "injaf" site seemed kinda... over the top, in my opinion. I mean, honestly, putting down a series of "recommended forums" that you approve of and line up with your views sounds a little unreliable, in my opinion. It kind of seems like the site is full of little things to scare you into getting a bigger tank. Not that that's bad, but opinion isn't always fact.
Injaf is not scaring people into getting a bigger tank. It is about informing people that there are much better alternatives to goldfish that look just like them (rosy and golden barbs for example) and are easier to keep.
It is also not an opinion or over the top, it's just about facts such as goldfish grow to 12" and get very chunky and old. Fish get stunted and die prematurely if you keep them too small.

When you ignore facts like these, you are just applying different standards to goldfish as for other fish just so you can keep them.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Of course, and I totally respect that. Nothing wrong with presenting facts so people know what they're getting into, at all. I was just saying that I don't know that the things presented there as absolute musts are necessarily, well, necessary.

There's absolutely a possibility that I was wrong about my initial impression of the site, too. I might have been a bit too hasty about my judgments.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
You know, I think I'll just hold off on the goldies. While I would absolutely love to have some, I don't want to risk anything. I'd rather give them a large tank where they can live up to their full potential instead of being in an "it's possible but not ideal" tank.

Thank you both very much for your help and advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store