Favorite Author/Book?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Haven't seen this question asked. So who still reads? I guess my favorite author was Robert A. Heinlein, With Louis Lamour an extremely close second. My favorite book is 'Stranger in a Strange Land', By Heinlein and Lamour's 'Hondo', after that.

Mark

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
wesleydnunder said:
Haven't seen this question asked. So who still reads? I guess my favorite author was Robert A. Heinlein, With Louis Lamour an extremely close second. My favorite book is 'Stranger in a Strange Land', By Heinlein and Lamour's 'Hondo', after that.

Mark
I grock that. Those are two excellent books. And Hondo is a great movie too! My favorite author has to be J.R.R. Tolkein. My favortie book is a kid's book actually, The Hobbit. I read it at least once a year, usually during the summer. It brings back such vivid memories of my elementary school days and always sort of rejuvinates me. I guess I have been reading it every year since I was in the fourth grade... I'm 32 now, so that's quite a lot of Bilbo, Gandalf, Smaug and Thorin romping through my imagination throught the years!

I would place Stranger in a Strange Land high on my list as well. Top 5 definitely. Lord of the Rings, The Black Company and some of the Harry potter books are up there as well... Umm, and the Douglas Adams stuff... okay, so I read a lot. :p

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Although I have never been a book worm, I've really enjoyed Paulo Cohelo's books, especialy "The Alchemist". I don't know if those books have been translated to English (Probably they have). A lot of people says Cohelo is a easy author, and his books are good for a light reading only, but I've found them quite inspirational and amusing.

Also, I've been reading the Harry Potter's series, and those are some nice entertaining stories. JK Rowling has been doing a nice work on them.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Heinlein (Cat Who Walks Through Walls, Stranger in a Strange Land)
Orson Scott Card (Enders)
Tolkein ('nuff said)
Dostoyevski (the Idiot)
Tolstoy (Anna Karenina)
Kathleen Winsor (Forever Amber)
Anne McCaffrey (All of them)
Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle (Lucifer's Hammer)
Jack L. Chalker (Soul Riders series)
Orwell
Asimov

Geez, I have boxes and boxes of books in the basement that I haven't read for years.

Roan

Last edited:

flyingfish

time to play!
Dec 26, 2004
Tad Williams Otherland + Memory and Sorrow series :cool:
Michelle West Uncrowned King series
Anne McCaffrey (all)
Robin Hobb Ship of Magic

I also like Larry Niven and Dan Simmons. I read a ton of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. :read:

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
The book, "A million little pieces" is really good, it makes you wonder.

Although, now - some of the content is being questioned on its authenticity... oh well, still a good book, even if parts happen to be made up! :read:

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Stephen King, all time fave author... fave books of his the Dark Tower series, The Stand and Insomnia. Also like Dan Brown (DaVinci Code), Patricia Cornwell ("mindless" crime novels) and Jackie Collins (trashy vacation/plane read novels)

Which reminds me I really need to start reading more... I used to be a HUGE bookworm, but since I had my son, not so much!!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I could never pick a favorite (I'm an english teacher-in-the-making)...

I will say that I just (a few days ago) read "Watership Down" at the urging of my mother. I adored that book. It was so well written....and that's hard to do when you consider the entire book is from the prospective of Berkshire rabbits in the wild. I really suggest it. Great for kids (older kids, it's over 450 pages and can be rather sad) and adults alike.

I also just finished Diane Ackerman's "A Natural History of the Senses." I can't describe it, really. The book covers all of the senses, and discusses little known facts and makes you aware of how they work and how magnificent they really are. It's written quite poetically, too. It was fantastic.

Other books I like:
Catcher in the Rye
The things they carried - really great book
Crime and Punishment
Anything by Poe or Shakespeare
Beloved (great book)
Anything by Stephen King (he's probably the author whose works I've read the most of)
The Grapes of Wrath
Mists of Avalon
Madame Bovary
Vanity Fair
Huck Finn

I need to stop.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store