Favorite easy low light plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you're looking in a couple of months, I would totally take a day and go to Aquashella in Chicago.

But, umm, yeah, get wood.. I would move things around then, so you can balance everything, have hardscape that is big and bold (And obviously following the artistic rules, like the one of thirds, and golden ratios, and whatever)

The swords will get to be too big for my tastes, they look like Amazon swords, and the last one I had filled a little over half of a 90g aquarium. but the important thing is going to be that you, and the fish, enjoy it.

I'd add more plants, and see what grows well for you, add rocks/wood, and work around that, keep the center clear, more heavily plant the outsides.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Very nice! I also love cryptocorynes in their many forms, check them out. Lots of sizes, leaf shapes & colors. They, like your swords, would like a root tab. Anubias & java ferns don't need ferts, whatever is in the water is enough.

Reactions: DaisyTattoo

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Thanks! I’d like to get some java moss but haven’t seen any at LFS lately. I’m definitely going to get some crypts as well.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'll send you some java moss and java fern if you want, I can probably pack quite a bit into a small padded envelope. My 20gal is completely overrun and I just throw a bunch of it away every water change. Let me know if you're interested.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would skip java moss; that & all mosses are on my hate list these last several years, lol. Java Ferns in any form are nice & easy too. Bolbitus can be good but it likes flow from a filter return or power head.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I'll send you some java moss and java fern if you want, I can probably pack quite a bit into a small padded envelope. My 20gal is completely overrun and I just throw a bunch of it away every water change. Let me know if you're interested.
i would love some! Let me know how to send payment and I’ll give you my address!

Arthur11

AC Members
Jul 13, 2021
The pool filter sand should not be so dense that it would just settle at the bottom. It will only cause the filter to clog and the water to stagnate. The sand should also not be so light that it makes the water cloudy. It should be the right density that acts like a fluid when you pump water through it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Arthur, pool filter sand is coarse & graded for size. It doesn't compact or cloud the water. It's play sand or builder's sand that can do that. I've used pool sand both in my tanks for many years & in my old swimming pool filter. Yes, it's more expensive ~$10/100 pounds but still cheap :) With practice, you can vacuum pool filter sand without sucking it all out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store