Female betta tankmates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
I am in the process of setting up a 20L planted tank. I was thinking of putting BN plecos, shrimp, and maybe some dwarf cories. I generally only like bottom dwellers but I have a friend who is asking me to import some bettas for him. I was thinking, since I am importing bettas for him anyway, I might as well pick up a betta for myself too. Long story short, can a female betta coexist with longfin BNs and shrimp? I am afraid the betta might decide to nip the plecos' fins. Anyone with any experience with female bettas and LF BN plecos?

edit: I meant 20G long

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
She'd probably eat baby shrimp. Idk about the BM, it would depend on the Betta.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
She will eat the baby shrimps, but probably leave the BN alone.

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll leave the betta out then. I don't want to risk it nipping the BNs. Plus I would like some baby shrimp too.

As I'm not that familiar with top range fish, any suggestions for a 20 long? I was thinking celestial pearl danios. They're stunning :D

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
The problem with keeping shrimp in a community tank is that most fish large enough to fit shrimp in their mouth will gladly do so. I don't know much about celestial pearl danios, but if they're anything like zebra danios or pearl danios, a small school should be more than fine.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
side question can a bn withstand a non heated tank? cuase it only goes bout as low as 40f over here... but its the temp fluctuations more than the actual temp that does the damage, right?

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
side question can a bn withstand a non heated tank? cuase it only goes bout as low as 40f over here... but its the temp fluctuations more than the actual temp that does the damage, right?
I do not think any of the tropical fish can survive 40 degrees F.

dorris

Replicator of Amazon streams
Aug 31, 2006
Tasmania, Australia.
tropical-fish-care.com
Real Name
Luke
Yes a small heater is advisable.

Also, female Bettas are definately NOT going to even look at your Bristlenose, lol. They would love to eat baby shrimp, but seriously those girls won't bother anyone. Even a male wouldn't bother pestering any type of catfish. That's been my experience anyway. The only fish that Betta's usually enjoy harassing really are live bearers like Platies because they are of a similar size and very bright colors so Betta's will usually flare up at them and scare them away, but I have never seen any Betta nip fins of another species, only other Bettas if they get the chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store