Ferret Bites Baby's Fingers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Many wrong ways to do many things...acceptance can't be mandated.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
how did the ferret get off 7 fingers before the parents heard anything? Seems a little negligent to me. Even more so, how did the ferret get in the room? when my 4 month old sister is sleeping the door is shut. IMO the parents can be held somewhat responsible. 1. for not making sure their animal was properly contained and 2. for not making sure that the child was safe knowing there was an animal that has the possibility to get into the childs room. Example, we have a cat and my mother doesn't want her in the babies room, so we shut the door. You can't very well tell a cat "you can go in any room but Sophie's" Also the ferret was being an animal, I doubt it thought "these fools only gave me 3 treats this weeks, so I suppose I will get even".

My parents taught us that anything with a mouth can and at one point will bite. If we get in the face of a strange animal and get bitten it's our own fault for we can rationalize at a higher level than an animal. Granted an infant can't do that.

Last edited:

tigi78840

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Del Rio,(AKA The Seventh Circle of Hell), Texas
Real Name
Tanya
I love animals but I have had 3 kids, and there's no way( in you know where) that I am going to allow anything with teeth to be in the room with my sleeping baby, ESPECIALLY a baby that young!!! That is askin for it! Everyone knows what animals (cats, rodents,etc...) have been known to do to sleeping babies, because of the scent in their mouth. Maybe it escaped... I hear that they are crafty and sneaky, but if the people who had the animal failed to do the research on it, bought it anyway, and let it be in the room with their sleeping child, WOW that's all I can say... I'm not excusing the ferrets behaviour, but it IS an animal, That animal didn't have a choice of where it went! It ws the parents decision to bring the stupid thing home! It's not that the big bad ferret maliciously broke in, hunted down and attacked the poor baby, it's that they provided their child as a snack for the ferret... I would have killed it,too. Then I'd have to live with the fact that my child will be marred for the rest of their life because I was so stupid! The parents are going to punish thereselves, enough, if they care about the child, anyway. They are gonna have to live with it, that guilt will be unbearable. I feel like the worst parent in the world, because my baby, while learning to walk, and playing with my bigger ones,some how fell, and chipped the tiny corner off of his front tooth. Now he's gonna have a chipped tooth, till his new ones come in, anyway. Poor baby, he must be top heavy,lol, every time he falls, his face breaks his fall.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
how did the ferret get off 7 fingers before the parents heard anything? Seems a little negligent to me. Even more so, how did the ferret get in the room? when my 4 month old sister is sleeping the door is shut. IMO the parents can be held somewhat responsible. 1. for not making sure their animal was properly contained and 2. for not making sure that the child was safe knowing there was an animal that has the possibility to get into the childs room. Example, we have a cat and my mother doesn't want her in the babies room, so we shut the door. You can't very well tell a cat "you can go in any room but Sophie's" Also the ferret was being an animal, I doubt it thought "these fools only gave me 3 treats this weeks, so I suppose I will get even".

My parents taught us that anything with a mouth can and at one point will bite. If we get in the face of a strange animal and get bitten it's our own fault for we can rationalize at a higher level than an animal. Granted an infant can't do that.
Even closing the door may not of helped with a ferret, I had a friend who owned one, it could actually squeeze threw the bottom of a closed door, there was maybea half inch between the bottom of the door and the floor

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Lol, yeah, well you're more than welcome to blame the animal, but it's about as pointless as blaming the sun for your sunburn, or blaming alcohol for your stupid drunken behavior.
...or blaming McDonalds for your obesity.
Sure, the animal did the dirty deed but the parents didn't properly secure the animal to begin with....and I, too, don't understand how the animal was able to bite off so many of the child's fingers (and even face) without the parents even knowing. Were they knocked out on Ambien or something? That's just ridiculous.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Lol, yeah, well you're more than welcome to blame the animal, but it's about as pointless as blaming the sun for your sunburn, or blaming alcohol for your stupid drunken behavior.
never have stupid drunken behavior btw....i can restrain myself from excessive drinking easily.

and as far as the sun goes, haven't had a sunburn in years since I am in control of where I am.

I am not in control of asinine animals being allowed as pets for asinine parents to mismanage.

Love this current trend to be afraid to lay blame where blame is due. It may be on several, but it is still there.

Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings in this PC world....lmao.

Last edited:

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Irresponsible parents & pet owners. No reason that animal should have been loose with a baby around and nobody to supervise, period.

I've kept ferrets, great animals, would I ever let one loose around children? No way.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
also, the ferret ate the fingers iirc. They must not have been feeding it.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
havign kept countless ferrets over the years, I just cannot see this just "happening". If this ferret was digit agressive, its usually obvious as they chase toes, etc. This is clearly and irresponsible pet owner and a very very sad circumstance. I cannot imagine a single digit being chewed off without serious screaming on the kids part and the ferret should have been contained overnight especially iif it was nippy.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
A ferret in the right situation is a great pet, and I speak from experience. I owned one with cats and dogs and no children and it was the coolest little thing. While I disagree that ferrets are completely untrainable, training them to resist their natural prey drive is a waste of time. I still have dogs and cats and now I keep parrots as well. Everybody coexists very nicely, with the dogs actually friendly towards the birds and the cats attitudes varying from total indifference to being terrified of the birds. No way would I introduce a ferret into the mix. It's a matter of understanding what one is doing. People have the right to be stupid. If we start dumbing down everything in this manner eventually they'll ban something even Bob likes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store