filters on/off during water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Mine goes off because the water level is lowered enough to cause concern during that brief period of time between the lowering of the water and the re-raising. Now, as for the heater...if it is submersible but wouldn't stay under the lowered water level, that has gotta go off for fear of something bad happening.

If you have the heater as part of your filtration unit, by all means, turn BOTH off.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Mine go off. My heaters and filters are on one power bar, and my lights are on another, I just flip the power bars off when I do my weekly maintenance.
My FO (fish only) tanks are lightly stocked, I find I don't stir up much of anything when I vacuum the gravel, and I usually don't touch the substrate of my planted tanks.

-Richer

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
55 gal powerhead-operated UGF - I unplug the powerheads and the heater while gravel vacc-ing. I leave the overhead light on though, cause it can be really hard to see in there. Probably not a good idea though, since I don't have this outlet on a GFI... actually that outlet's not even grounded.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store