Fire belly newts..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Not to change the subject...lol...but I was browsing in the past posts in this thread and came across this pic that Winterwind posted....I think this is a fabulous setup and it has me plotting...."gee, which tank should I switch over...hhmmmm"

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
That tank looks similar to mine, only the land portion is isolated from teh water because I siliconed in a Turtle divier thing, I will try to post a pic before I leave for the Desert tonight, going camping.

I think I'm going to pickup a new ZooMed Turtle Canister Filter, do to not having much water I really need to overfilter the water so I can add a couple guppies, but most canisters are too powerful for the little water I have, I'm hoping this one will do a good job as I think with the newts and toads the whisper 10i is just not quite enough...Even stuffed with 2 extra sponges I have my doubts, It does do a great job of not breaking the waters surface, since I have a sponge under the lip sitting on a rock, it very gently trickles down the rock :)...But on to better things.

I REALLY wish I had space for a 100 gallon, which was my origional plan, but Renting a room, I can only give up so much space.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Emg said:
Not to change the subject...lol...but I was browsing in the past posts in this thread and came across this pic that Winterwind posted....I think this is a fabulous setup and it has me plotting...."gee, which tank should I switch over...hhmmmm"

Lol, if you do this, we need pictures. :D

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
I took pictures of my setup then my computer crashed and new memory caused a hardware Failure... And Now I htink my CPU is dead also.

But I will post them eventually :p

I replaced my whisper 10i filter with a zoomeds Canister for turtles. Tank is still cycling and I don't know if any filter will ever be able to keep up with only 3 gallons of water in the terrarium + newts and toads! Then again the Nitrite levels did drop after a massive water and gravel change.

Got that flourite in the tank now... Is a work in progress...

Last edited:

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
justintoxicated said:
I took pictures of my setup then my computer crashed and new memory caused a hardware Failure... And Now I htink my CPU is dead also.

But I will post them eventually :p

I replaced my whisper 10i filter with a zoomeds Canister for turtles. Tank is still cycling and I don't know if any filter will ever be able to keep up with only 3 gallons of water in the terrarium + newts and toads! Then again the Nitrite levels did drop after a massive water and gravel change.

Got that flourite in the tank now... Is a work in progress...
The Zoomed turtle filter I am starting to find out is lacking. It is not giving the power that I need for my turtle tank, even though I have 30 gallons in a 55. I will need to get a bigger canister filter for my tank.

Yeah, newts and frogs need water changes like tropical fish. Should do this every weekend like you would your fish tank. I perform water changes like this on my turtle tank and these guys are pigs. I should post a picture of this tank here. Even though its not fancy, a bare tank with no gravel, and it just has the basking areas for them. Turtles can be really messy. :D

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
tricksterpup said:
The Zoomed turtle filter I am starting to find out is lacking. It is not giving the power that I need for my turtle tank, even though I have 30 gallons in a 55. I will need to get a bigger canister filter for my tank.

Yeah, newts and frogs need water changes like tropical fish. Should do this every weekend like you would your fish tank. I perform water changes like this on my turtle tank and these guys are pigs. I should post a picture of this tank here. Even though its not fancy, a bare tank with no gravel, and it just has the basking areas for them. Turtles can be really messy. :D
Yep, Turtles are even worse then frogs and newts, but I was figuring the filter should be enough fo rmy 3 gallons of water 3 toads and 2 newts. Am I Wrong? Do I need something like a canister for a 200 gallon tank for my piddly 3 gallons?

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
justintoxicated said:
Yep, Turtles are even worse then frogs and newts, but I was figuring the filter should be enough fo rmy 3 gallons of water 3 toads and 2 newts. Am I Wrong? Do I need something like a canister for a 200 gallon tank for my piddly 3 gallons?
LOL, no, i think you should be fine, I think a 200 gallon filter would be a tiny bit over kill, but not by much. ;)

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
Ok folks its spring time again and its near NEWT season. Yeah, newts are pretty hard to come by in this area. Well my local shop has finally gotten in some Red bellies, I would like to try them out but not sure If i want to hold out and see if he gets any Eastern newts in. These guys are still my favorites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store