First Pleco's... never see them, not eating algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
I THINK that I have a Bushynose Pepperment Pleco... He's been in the tank for 2 days, but he's still not seen. When I first put him in, he went to work on some of the algae, but then disapeared and hasn't been seen since Do they start working their magic on the algae after they feel safe and comfortable? I know it took my clown loaches a week to come out of hiding.

I bought another pleco for my other tank, he's at LEAST made an appearance, but the situation is similar. I know they are shy by nature... but It would be nice to see some algae gone from my tank.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
I think bushy nose and peppermint pleco's are diffrent species,
I could be wrong but it depends on the pleco

Addict

Here fishy, fishy
Feb 23, 2005
Ohio
www.digitaldeviation.com
Peppermint plecs and bushy nose plecs are two different types. Peppermint plecs are almost black in appearance with white dots. Bushy nose plecs have many "bristles" coming from the area near their mouth.
Bristle Nose:

Peppermint:

Plecs are night time feeders. My pleco is most active late night - early morning before the light turns on (and before anyone is out in the living room).

Last edited:

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
yup i second that, most plecos i know are nocturnal, try observing if its active during night time :duh:

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
The tank called it a bushy nose. It has a FEW very small "bristles".
It's a "spotted" bushynose, but that's not how I've seen them in photos.
I'm just saying this because algae is growing on the tank walls and he's apparently happy with just the driftwood!

Addict

Here fishy, fishy
Feb 23, 2005
Ohio
www.digitaldeviation.com
Akysten said:
The tank called it a bushy nose. It has a FEW very small "bristles".
It's a "spotted" bushynose, but that's not how I've seen them in photos.
I'm just saying this because algae is growing on the tank walls and he's apparently happy with just the driftwood!
Juveniles won't have very pronounced bristles.

Not all plecs are glass cleaning algae machines (most plecs are omnivores). It also depends on how much you supplement their diet with other items (wafers & such). If you feed them too much, they will rely on that for food and not take care of the tank. Not saying you shouldn't feed your plec though. ;)

My common plec (aka Snow King) does a great job. They are known for this though. He gets fed every other day (several wafers; he's 11-12" now).

Just my $.02...

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
Well, I was told it was a bushy nose.. that's the label, and he has a few. They're supposed to be good algae eaters.
I THINK the common pleco I have in my other tank is doing a good job. He's also very young, and will quickly outgrow my small tank.

I'll give him a week or so..

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
There's many species of bushynoses.... it could be a Starlight Bushynose, which are kinda blackish with white dotting...

http://www.planetcatfish.com

Go to the Catelog, sort it by the Loricaridaes, and chances are you will find him in with the other Ancistrus species

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
I have a 9 inch Pleco and the only reason he's seen is because his body is so large, it protrudes out of wherever he's trying to hide. I really CAN'T STAND this type of fish but I needed something to attack the algae growing on my glass. I also thought that he would scavenge at night for any leftover food but he does NEITHER and only ADDS to the waste with his ENORMOUS poops. I had two Plecos previously that I got rid off and now, I'm looking to do the same with this one. What a waste of cash for this 'ghost' of a fish.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Get off your lazy butts and scrub your own algae!!!

Plecos should not be used as indentured servants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store