First timer - SW Nano FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
+1

but if you are in a hurry to get everything up to (general) par then get the hydrometer and return it once you get the refractometer.

there is no limit on how often or how much these can be used
refractometers are way more accurate and use less water
Thanks. I'm definatley not in a hurry to get this tank set up. I want to make sure that the water is at top notch and all is settled down before I introduce anything fish wise. What about the live rock though. How early can I introduce that to the tank?

caelcynndarr

AC Members
Jun 8, 2009
Now this is the sort of advise I'm looking at. Thanks for that, you've just saved me a lot of cash.

I was thinking about the clean up crew. Am I right in thinking their is no point in adding the clean up crew first because in my opinion, with it being a new tank, their will not be much to clean up really and they might starv? Is that the right thing to be thinking?
I added mine when i put the LR in (i got some LR with tons of food for them already)
you could wait a while but as soon as a fish goes in you need a crew

a couple hermits
some astrea snail
some narssius vibex snails
some ceriths
maybe a couple nerites
a cleaner shrimp maybe BUT ONLY ONE
NO TURBOS NONE NADA ZIP

caelcynndarr

AC Members
Jun 8, 2009
once you get your salinity right add the LR
and keep it submerged as much as possible so there is little die off

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
not even two clownfish are recommended for such a small tank. if you want fish diversity your going to have to get very small fish like clown gobies

peppermint cleaner shrimp arnt aggressive, i have 6 in a 10 gallon tank

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
I added mine when i put the LR in (i got some LR with tons of food for them already)
you could wait a while but as soon as a fish goes in you need a crew

a couple hermits
some astrea snail
some narssius vibex snails
some ceriths
maybe a couple nerites
a cleaner shrimp maybe BUT ONLY ONE
NO TURBOS NONE NADA ZIP
The rock I'm going to be introducing is Fiji LR. Not sure how much life will be on it though. Well once the salinity is up to scratch I'll put in the live rock then. I still won't be adding any live stock for a while though and will now have to rethink the livestock. Shall forget the Damsels and Tang I think. Definatley going for the Peppermint Shrimps though now.

caelcynndarr

AC Members
Jun 8, 2009
The rock I'm going to be introducing is Fiji LR. Not sure how much life will be on it though. Well once the salinity is up to scratch I'll put in the live rock then. I still won't be adding any live stock for a while though and will now have to rethink the livestock. Shall forget the Damsels and Tang I think. Definatley going for the Peppermint Shrimps though now.
peppermints would be good
they will take care of aiptasia that may hitchhike with your rock

you could try some basslets or grammas
maybe a pair of cardinals
perhaps after you have a good supply of pod (six months or so) you could add a fairy wrasse in
some sort of sandsifter like a rainsford goby

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
This is great. I've learnt so much in the last ten minutes.......

Another thing I'm looking at is the lighting for the tank. At the minute it is fitted with a Visi-Lux 15" florecent white light and to me it appears to be a little to bright for my liking as you will prob see from the picture I took. Can I fit a florecent blue light instead and if so, what wattage will it need to be?

caelcynndarr

AC Members
Jun 8, 2009
This is great. I've learnt so much in the last ten minutes.......

Another thing I'm looking at is the lighting for the tank. At the minute it is fitted with a Visi-Lux 15" florecent white light and to me it appears to be a little to bright for my liking as you will prob see from the picture I took. Can I fit a florecent blue light instead and if so, what wattage will it need to be?

you have to find the wattage of the current bulb for that

and i am not quite sure about what light fowlrs need

i have a 24" t-5 fixture on my nano but i have corals i found it cheap at the LFS for 60 bucks

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
Just looked and it's 35watts, also noticed how much heat its giving off too and that I would of thought will not be helping the stablising of the water temperature.

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
Well thanks for your input for now guys but I'm off to work. Hope we can chat more tomorrow as I have other things to ask....

Cheers

Rob

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store