First timer - SW Nano FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
light is immaterial in a fowler, bright lights will only grow algae
Is that a good thing or a bad thing. I know from past experiance with tropical fish, green algae can present problems or are we talking about a different kind of algae here? Will the clean up crew do anything with algae as it appears?

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
So I need to look into that then. I definatly need to get hold of an Ocean Blue florecent I think, not only for the look but reduce algae growth.

AMDPhenomx4

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
If you want to begin, Dont start small. The smaller the harder. Try for atleast 30 gallons. With 15, perameters are hard to keep stable. A 30 G will give more options for fish, more room for coral and easier maintnance.

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
This is just a starting point for me and I have to admit the tank isn't as big as I'd like it to be but I am only really using it as a starting point/ introduction into saltwater aquariums. I'm not intending to over populate the tank with fish, only a few will be added gradually but only when the tank is completely balanced out. This is what I'm using as a learning curve tank and generally the setup of such an aquarium. Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I am in no rush to add livestock to it yet. The only thing that will really be introduced shortly will be the live rock. Once again, once all the test and equipment are upto the satisfactory standard required to keep any fish in will I start to add livestock. The first of which will be a clean up crew. I can understand the thought of someone new to the hobby wanting to rush into getting fish into a tank but from past experiance with tropical tanks, which are far less a hassle shall we say to maintain than a marine tank, I do not want to dive in at the deep end:dive2: and am prepared to take as long as it needs to to get everything in order with the setup before anything is added.

pkumar

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
So Cal
I'm trying to do the same thing too. Not too many fish for first several months. I wish I could comment on the algae issue but i'm not sure either, less light makes sense though. Best of luck with your tank.

- Prashanth

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
Thank you and you too with yours.

I think the light will definatly be reduced to a blue light with less output than the white I have now although algae hasn't risen from the dead yet, but a little too early probs. One other thing I'm adding is a very very low wattage blue spot light in one corner of the tank that is behind a small grill that will be set to come on when the other main light goes off at night. I'm using this to simulate moonlight cast over the seabed during the dark hours to try and make the livestock feel a little more at home.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
light isnt the only thing that makes algae grow, but its the most important, so reducing it should be effective. if you do normal water changes than the only other factor is the water you do top offs with, which should be ROdi water

RobMac

AC Members
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, know what you mean there. Wasn't to keen on changing the water using tap water all the time so ROdi is the way I'm going

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store