First Vivarium!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I thought about that but just assumed it would need to be fully supported. It has the front and back braces fully on the stand just not the sides. Do you guys think that a 36 inch tank on a 32 inch stand would cause a problem?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
How many gallons of water will be in it? I always prefer an appropriately sized stand, but it may not be strictly necessary if there won't be that much water in it. I'd be careful though.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
The water section is about 9 gallons by my calculations.

What about putting a strong piece of wood (that is 36" by 18") between the stand and tank?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
9 gallons is still a good amount of water... somewhere around 75-80 pounds. I don't think I'd leave it hanging off. A good strong piece of wood that's as big as the tank sounds like it should do the trick to me.

Last edited:

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
9 gallons is still a good amount of water... somewhere around 757-80 pounds. I don't think I'd leave it hanging off. A good strong piece of wood that's as big as the tank sounds like it should do the trick to me.
Wow, that's a big range ya got there! :lol:

I think the wood is going to be the cheepest option.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
What do you guys think about feeding the soon to be inhabitants Darkling Beetles? Per THIS SITE:

if handled roughly, they emit a dark-colored, foul-smelling fluid. This behavior is enough to discourage all but the most determined predators. The fluid washes off easily with water in case of contact with your hands.
Do you think this would be harmful to the frogs/ fish? I could always just keep the adults for breeding if they are toxic.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
What do you guys think about feeding the soon to be inhabitants Darkling Beetles? Per THIS SITE:

Do you think this would be harmful to the frogs/ fish? I could always just keep the adults for breeding if they are toxic.
I've never heard of those before and probably won't be feeding them.

I do have a wingless fruit fly culture that I'm currently splitting up. I'll see if I'm good with the splitting up and maybe eventually sell some.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Wow, that's a big range ya got there! :lol:

I think the wood is going to be the cheepest option.
LOL... meant 75-80... I need more sleep. =)

I don't know about the beetles, but anything that stinky, I believe I"d stay away from.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I've never heard of those before and probably won't be feeding them.

I do have a wingless fruit fly culture that I'm currently splitting up. I'll see if I'm good with the splitting up and maybe eventually sell some.
They are the adult form of mealworms. Mealworms are the larva, then they turn into pupae, the molt into adults and lay eggs.

LOL... meant 75-80... I need more sleep. =)

I don't know about the beetles, but anything that stinky, I believe I"d stay away from.
That's what I was thinking too. Since it does list the predatores I imaginge it is more of a deturent rather than a toxin but I doubt that little frogs could handle it like coyotes, foxes, hawks, snakes, ravens, and crows can.

Oh well, they will live to breed another day!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store