Fish Bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
Swimfins that the best advise i have heard LOL.. i will try again this weekend..
i dont under her MOM, i am ready to pay for all the expenses but still she will not agree for a tank :(

will keep you guys posted :eek:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Bowls can keep bettas alive, but not in great conditions. Keeping the temperature stable is the primary problem. The second concern is that without regular (ie, daily, or every other day) water cahnges, the tendency is to completely clean the tank once a month, removing all the beneficial bacteria.

I would have to say "If you are not going to allow her to have a tank that can properly provide for the fishes needs, a bowl is not an appropriate substitute for the animals. It would be better to do this right, and will be glad to help with that." And stand firm on that--when the Mom does the bowl and the goldfish, and they die, maybe she will talk to you and try doing it right rather than putting up with a very unhappy child.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Glass fish always look nice. That was how my mom always kept a bowl of fish. Top off the water every so often. Forget to feed them? No problem. Vacations? No problem.

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
Righto OrionGirl ... i just wanted her to do it right.. i just spoke to her over th e phone..
she still will not listen... so told her not to get the fish bowl..
She has agreed... so we will wait till we can make some place for a 10 gal in room..
i canot wait to get started.. i thinki am more exceited then my little neice..
Thax 2 everyone for thier replys... i will let you guys know when we get her a 10 gal tank..
Kamla

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
If you think that they aren't going to keep up with regular water changes and maintenence on a bowl, why would you set them up with a 10 gallon tank, or any tank for that matter?

It sounds like TKOS's suggestion is the best one so far.

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
Raskolnikov: you r right!!!! Never though of it
I was just trying to help… maybe if she get a bowl, she will not endanger more fish…

I think I am going to remove myself from this situation, but every time I go over to their house I will have to look at a fish in a small little bowl..

I guess either way, some poor fish is goin to suffer…

BTW my niece started asking for a tank after she saw the fish at my apt… so I feel responsible…

Boohoo

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Bridgewater,Nova Scotia
Last night I was browsing on Ebay and they have a great solution for your situation. Kids would love the idea. It is a gumball machine fish bowl. Ornamental. Comes with some fish, turtles, plants, etc. No maintainance required.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Boohoo said:
Last night I was browsing on Ebay and they have a great solution for your situation. Kids would love the idea. It is a gumball machine fish bowl. Ornamental. Comes with some fish, turtles, plants, etc. No maintainance required.
You are kidding right? I know of the setup you speak of but no maintainance?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store