Fish Bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hurdledude1298

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
michigan
i am currently housing 2 goldfish(comets) and a betta in a fish bowl (just because i dont have anywhere else to put them right now and i dont want to flush them.) but they seem fine and are active it is like 1.5 gallons and i know its overstocked but the goldfish breathe fine in there

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That the fish are still alive does not mean they are 'okay', nor does it mean it's a good idea worth recommending to others.

beachbuum04

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
hurdledude1298 said:
i am currently housing 2 goldfish(comets) and a betta in a fish bowl (just because i dont have anywhere else to put them right now and i dont want to flush them.) but they seem fine and are active it is like 1.5 gallons and i know its overstocked but the goldfish breathe fine in there
1. Goldfish are cold water fish while bettas are tropical fish. They absolutely should not be kept together!!!!!

2. How can you tell the goldfish is breathing just fine?? You can't deny the basic physiology of the fish...if they don't have the organ necessary for taking oxygen straight from the atmosphere then they are not breathing "just fine".

3. Comet goldfish get to be about 6 inches or more so they'll eventually need to be moved.

I highly recommend separating the goldfish and betta...at least give the goldfish a bubble stone if not a 10+ gallon aquarium with a filter.

Bobafish

Star Wars Freak
Mar 6, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
www.freewebs.com
Don't get the fishbowl, my sister had one with a bubble eyed goldfish in it and it died within like a month. It is NOT WORTH IT if the fish is just going to die. so tell her dont do in unless you get a bigger tank.

Lucretia

Life is what you make it
Mar 5, 2005
Brisbane Australia
why not just get her mum to get one of those aquatic screensavers for the pc or maybe theres a computer program with fish on it that you have to feed and do water changes on? if so maybe thats there best choice lol

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
Thax guys.. last night I was over their house and I showed her this thread..
She was shocked. She read other threads also,
The good news is that this thread talked her out of getting a bowl also she promised that unless she is ready for a the commitment to the fish she will not get a tank either..

I tried telling her all this and she did not listen, but when she read it online.. its like a light bulb went on..

BTW: we are now trying to explain to the little one why she cannot get gold fish
Wish me luck.. at least the hard part is over

Once again thax guys..

beachbuum04

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Yay! Another fish saved!!!! :dance

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are several 'fish' you can get for screen savers and as games. They vary between just pretty pictures, to fish that have to be fed and 'played' with daily. For some, you can buy additional fish, decorations, etc. Insaniquarium is a game that might be appealing (though the weird alien attacks really are strange). Might be worth a look, you can download a trial for free and the whole thing only costs $20.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store