fish go into shock whenever light is turned on

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
fIsHy13 said:
nwo, are you going to help me figure out what is wrong with my fish or not?
Not with that attitude, no.

Get a test kit and maybe someone else can help you.

Roan

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
Roan Art said:
Not with that attitude, no.

Get a test kit and maybe someone else can help you.

Roan
agreed

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Pufferpoison --

RTR is referring to marine salt, though. Yes, mollies can do well in marine salt, but not regular salt. You post just said "salt" and this is a freshwater forum, therefore it stood to reason that it would be understood that you meant NaCI.

Roan

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
quote "If your water is moderately hard to hard (GH 8-12 or more, KH the same range), then some NaCl addition may be all that is needed."

of course depending on the water conditions. I have SW / BW / FW so i have the big buckets of salt on hand all the time.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
i apoligise for my bad attitude, but it WAS annoying when you and pufferpiosiin kept going on about salt cos it really had nothnig to to with it

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Fishy...

So many questions I'll have to go back and forth to answer them. But 1st would like to say that you do need as much information as humanly possible for us to help you. One missed variant to the problem could change alot of possible causes. I'm going out on a limb but I think you have high nitrites which cause the fish to not be able to get enough O2. This will cause red gills and gasping at the surface. High ammonia will also but nitrites take longer to establish so I'm going to throw that in 1st as the reason.

Lets tackle the waterchange/water temp 1st.

You don't really need to keep the heater on. When you do a water change just try to get the new water to the same temp as the tank water before you put it in. It takes some practice but I can go to my faucet and get the handles to the exact position now for each tank.
You don't need to take the entire hood off to do water changes. Just lift the front and stick the gravel vac in, do half the tank one week and the other half the next. All fish get skittish at 1st but learn that they aren't in any danger and actually start swimming around the vac. Water changes are they most important part of fish keeping. Without them all your parameters(pH,Am,Ni,NA) are in danger of becoming toxic to the fish and killing them.

Test Kit

Go to Petsmart.com go to fish then test kits and find the AP Freshwater Master Kit, print out the ad and take it to the Petsmart in your area. They will match the online price and you'll get the kit for under $15.

This really is the 2nd most important part of fish keeping. If you don't know what the water is doing you can't help your fish.

Lights on

If you keep turning the lights on and off that will be more stressful to them. Turn the lights on and leave them on all day.Just like any thing else they need to get use to the lights. Its not stressing the fish as much as you think. Give them some more hiding places, leave the lights on, and you'll find after a few hours they will be swimming all over the place. There will be times you think they are hiding, my fish usually chill under the plants around 12-2 and then become active again. I call it hiding from the midday heat.

Diseases

Google fish tank diseases and you'll find some sites that will show pics. A lot of diseases can be stopped or prevented simply by good water quality.

If you want further accurate help you'll need to give us more information.

Tank size,type of fish in the tank,decor,filter and cleaning ritual, water change (how much,how often), water temp.,and of course pH,Am,Ni,Na.

quenton

Dennis Smith
Feb 5, 2006
Toronto Ontario
fIsHy13 said:
i apoligise for my bad attitude, but it WAS annoying when you and pufferpiosiin kept going on about salt cos it really had nothnig to to with it
This is often how new threads get started, by side-issues, so please sometimes bear with it. In this case its an old argument with probably truths on both sides, so it could be taken elsewhere after the first couple of posts.

On your problem, to repeat many requests, please try providing more info -- tank size, fish in it, and try and get those basic tests -- ammonia and nitrite probably being the most critical -- pH and nitrate after that.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
i have provived that info on another thread about my ill fish cos someone asked on here, and then the same person asked on the other thread about my ill fish, so i just posted it on that one

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
You should try to keep all info in the same thread.

You want our help but then you want us to search out another thread by you just to find new info?

Is it to hard to put the info here for us. I'm more than glad to help but I'm not going fishing :laugh: for info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store