fish go into shock whenever light is turned on

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Fishy,

This is not a personal attack, but you've been here for quite a while now -- as long as I have -- and almost everytime you post about a problem with your fish we've asked for your nitrite, nitrate and ammonia readings.

You still haven't bothered to buy a test kit and you can't tell me that in 6 months you couldn't save up the 20$ to buy one.

BUY A TEST KIT AND POST YOUR READINGS.

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Pufferpoison said:
Mollies do better with a little salt added to the tank, i would add a teaspoon per gallon (take plastic cup with tank water and add howevery many teaspoons per gallon of your tank) and slowly add some over the course of the day. make sure to just add a little bit of the plastic cup at a time i use a 9oz cup and add about 1/8 of a cup and come back to add some in about an hour.

Sorry to hear about your problem fishy. Mollies are pretty hardy and hopefully this will work out. I personally would turn the light on and leave it on for at least an hour. turn the light on and stick your hand in the tank and make sure you don't feel any tingling. Good luck....
Please don't encourage that mollies and salt myth. We went through this already with Fishy13 and I don't think we need to go through that again.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64489&highlight=fishy+mollies

Read RTR's article:

http://www.thepufferforum.com/articles/water/salt.html

Roan

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
the tingling in the water could mean that you have a short giving off current (electricity) in the water that makes the fish act that way.

Test kits:

ammonia $8.00
Nitrite $8.00
Nitrate $10.00
PH $5.00

knowing your fish are healthy........................Priceless

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006

Pufferpoison

Like a dolls eyes
Feb 6, 2006
quote from RTR:

The final urban legend is 3e: The addition of NaCl at the same 1-tablespoon per 5 gallons as beneficial for livebearers. Here the pendulum swings closest to agreement with the myth. These fish as a group are native to estuarine environments where the waters are likely to be hard and alkaline at least, and may be brackish. Sodium chloride is matching their home, right? Well, maybe. If your water is moderately hard to hard (GH 8-12 or more, KH the same range), then some NaCl addition may be all that is needed, if anything is needed. If your water is soft and acid, you need buffering as much as the addition of minerals to the water, and NaCl alone will not be sufficient. You need to add crushed coral or aragonite plus salt, or just the use of marine mix rather than table salt alone. The marine mix contains the whole range of cations and anions (positively and negatively charged ions, such as Na+, Ca ++; Cl-, CO3--) found in the sea, and will be more than adequately buffered. The use of “sea salt” (a table grade of culinary salt from evaporation ponds of seawater) is not an adequate replacement. Brine in these evaporation ponds undergoes a large number of interesting reactions during the concentration process, so the final product does not match the composition or functional ability to support life that was present in the original seawater or in water made up from marine mix. It is fine for table use, inappropriate for the tank due to the significant differences from seawater.

So, is salt worth its salt? Definitely. It may be a part of the treatment of choice in certain conditions during an acute infection. It may even be part of the proper regimen for long-term maintenance of certain types of fish. Should it always be in your FW tank regardless of your fish or your water? IMHO and IME, absolutely not.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
please shutup your incredibly annoying bicker of salt- i don't care andi don't think anyone else does

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
nwo, are you going to help me figure out what is wrong with my fish or not?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Please post the size of the tank, how many & what kind of fish, type of filtration.

Did you do a water change in the last 24 hrs?

If you can not get all test kits at once, can you at least get one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store