Fish with very aggressive bacterial infection?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joshua McVay

Registered Member
Oct 22, 2017
Within a few hours, one of my danios acquired a white fungal looking growth on it's mouth that forced it to stay open. In fear of a bacterial infection, I isolated the fish in another tank holding the same water to the previous tank. I immediately put an antibacterial in both tanks and changed the filter in the original one. The fish in the original tank are acting normally.
Within a couple more hours, the growth on the danio has increased in size dramatically and seems to have gotten into the stomach because the stomach is bloated and is visibly white from the outside.
I made this post out of curiosity, mostly because I have never seen this and I am 100% positive the danio will die. It's swim bladder is not functioning at all, as it attempts to swim around while upside-down or sideways... I am going to take it out of it's misery. Can anyone tell me what this is? I thought it was wool mouth because it was white and only appeared on the mouth... But I have never seen a bacterial infection be so aggressive as to increase in size noticably within a few hours....into the stomach at that. The other fish are still fine, but as I said....I am curious to find out what this is and how it killed my very healthy fish so quickly.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I'm sorry for your problems. I've seen columnaris in 2 forms; slow & not so terrible... & fast & awful. I'm not sure if this is your issue. Can you post pics?

I'm betting you're right, there isn't anything you can do for the fast moving type. You were wise to remove the affected fish, but keep an eye on the others. Large frequent water changes can help a bit.

Reactions: Joshua McVay

Joshua McVay

Registered Member
Oct 22, 2017
Well, I'm sorry for your problems. I've seen columnaris in 2 forms; slow & not so terrible... & fast & awful. I'm not sure if this is your issue. Can you post pics?

I'm betting you're right, there isn't anything you can do for the fast moving type. You were wise to remove the affected fish, but keep an eye on the others. Large frequent water changes can help a bit.
I am doing just that. So far, no symptoms in the other fish and I have already done a water change. They are all eating and acting normally.

Thanks for the reply!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store